Goby sitting on my new clam

Discussion in 'Clams' started by ipreferpie, Oct 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ipreferpie

ipreferpie Plankton

Hi there,

I just got a massive 12" maxima and introduced it into my tank. It looks amazing and seems quite happy. However, my yellow clown goby loves to use it as a sofa. I see it sitting on the clam's mantle every so often. It doesn't seem to bother the clam much but it does retract when the fish moves. Should I worry about it and what should I do if it's a problem? Thanks for your help!

2. Click Here!

3. E-rock

E-rock Plankton

As long as he is not nipping at it, then it should be ok. my clown goby tore all the skin off a small mili frag and killed it. Then he also picked at an acan and my once large green brain. Mine obviously likes to eat coral.

4. LukeJustice

LukeJustice Plankton

my YWG loves his clam... goby jumps all over the clam and the clam doesnt mind at all, if any other fish swims anywhere near the clam then it retracts.

some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. boostednlinefor

boostednlinefor Fire Worm

Can a clam snap shut on the goby or any other fish if it wanted to? I've been thinking of getting one but don't want to loose fish to it

6. Danhodl

Danhodl Flamingo Tongue

That's a good question.....

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes they can, I have seen post of clown fish meeting their end. The more the fish struggles the more the clam clamps down. I am sure it's rare though.

8. Click Here!

9. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

I recently introduced an algae blenny to my frag tank and the clam closes when anything comes near it. But after a while it got used to algae blenny and doesnt close anymore. Only for that fish though. Im curious as to how the clam can tell fish apart, but it doesnt do any damage to the clam.

10. LukeJustice

LukeJustice Plankton

yeah i would be interested as well, but the clam KNOWS the difference for sure...

11. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

It definitely does. Beautiful clam by the way. Thats a big a boy. Haha.