GO Garlic!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by rogerstammy, May 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

If anyone can join in , I currently use Kent Garlic Guard
    and I do add a little to flakes and pellets which I feed 1 or 2 days per week

dont soak flakes to long as they go soggy to quickly which means they absorb quickly so you know once they are damp, they are ready.

Steve

2. Click Here!

3. bama

bama Humpback Whale

I use kent marine extreme garlic. its good stuff, but be sure to keep it in the fredge because its potent..

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Garlic rocks. I do the garlic thing at least once weekly and every day if there is something wrong with one of my fish. I just coat a piece of Nori with it and dump it in. Flake food dipped briefly for the one or two fish I have that can't stand seaweed.

1 person likes this.
  5. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

I was going to ask if garlic should be used regularly for non-sick fish - thanks, John!

6. dufresne

dufresne Feather Duster

lol ::) ;d :)

7. Johnnie Mac

Johnnie Mac Bristle Worm

I put my frozen food in a dish of the tank water and dump it all back in. exaclty how much of the garlic juice could safely be mixed in that if I was to just put a little in to soak? Could it just be dumped into the tank with the food too?

8. Click Here!

9. rogerstammy

rogerstammy Peppermint Shrimp

You know Johnnie I do not know the answer to that. I soak my food for a little bit (frozen food) to guarantee my fish are eating the garlic. As for how much I put about 6-8 drops in.

1 person likes this.
  10. Johnnie Mac

Johnnie Mac Bristle Worm

Thank you.
    I want to start using it but I wasn't sure on the amount and how muck can get dump into the tank. Anything that will help boost their health is worth a opportunity. 8)

1 person likes this.
  11. Beaker11

Beaker11 Astrea Snail

My clowns were flashing/rubbing their gills on my intake tube last week. I bought them garlic and added it to their tank water and within 1 day no more flashing. I totally am amazed. I even started using it on my 125g FW tank and my clown loaches and botias go NUTS at feeding time.........LOL

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Nope, the Allicin becomes unstable VERY quickly (completely broken down into other chemicals within 6 days). The products that we buy at the grocery store or LFS were on the shelf longer than 6 days for sure. It only boosts immunity benefits right after the garlic clove is crushed and allinase interacts with alliin to form Allicin. If you buy a garlic press and crush your own cloves and soak food in that, then you will get the antimicrobial benefits.

It works VERY GOOD at this and that is why I use it. I don't even bat an eye if I see a fish with Ich. I up my feeding regiment for a bit, use vitamins, HUFA's, and Garlic in the food.