Glue not holding

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Foreverfishy, Jan 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

recently my kenya tree and Anthelia started to split on their own. When the piece separated from the body of the coral I placed that fragged piece on a rock with loctite gel. However, the glue wont hold the coral to the rock more than a couple days. What could be the cause of this?

2. Click Here!

3. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I never heard of that glue before. Then again I am new to fragging also and I have only used fragging gel or super glue and used either a rubber band to hold it to the piece of rock or frag plug or tooth pick between the frag and rubber band.

4. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

I had this EXACT same problem when I fragged my corals- used the same stuff. My guess is that it is in part due to the slime that each coral produces when fragged. It most likely doesn't allow the gel to actually bond to the coral and so it won't stay.

Your best bet would be to use some type of string to hold it in place until it attaches. Just make sure it isn't too tight or it will cut through it.

5. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Loctite is the same as super glue. Problem is, you can't glue down soft corals. They have to grow onto a rock, first, then that rock can be glued down somewhere. Wrapping a piece of mesh around the coral and a rock is a common method. The best place for GTagging info is YouTube.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  6. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

With anthelia I have always put the frags in a small Tupperware with some liverock rubble for a few days until it has attaches.

7. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

good ideas thanks guys

8. Click Here!

9. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

super glue gel!!!! but you have to use a lotttttt i mean way way more than you think. dip the newly glued frag in and out of the water so the glue starts to stick. hold it above water for a minute or two while the out side of the glue starts to dry, then clean the spot you want to place the coral(vermitide snails, ect) and mash that glue down and hold it for about 30-45seconds.... then it should be solid. but if you ever bump it hard enough it will come undone

10. cuteNfishy88

cuteNfishy88 Astrea Snail

i use aquascape construction epoxy js

11. HealthyTanks

HealthyTanks 3reef Sponsor

I had the same results with super gluing softies. You think you have a good mount and then a couple of days later it’s somewhere else. Most of them would stick, but not all of them. I would probably have about 20% that came loose. I got best results when I was able to dry off the mounting surface and deslime the softie before I start gluing. But after a while I gave up on glue.

12. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

I used the rubber band thing. give a couple days with the rubber band then take it off. The little tiny piece on the other side of the band might die off but it will grow itself to the frag.