Glue it yourself sump tank

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by browntrout, May 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

I needed a sump tank for my 75g tank. I own a laser and decided to make my own. I ended up making a couple extra tanks since I was already cutting material. The tank is a 20g long. 30"x12.5"x13 I wanted this to be easy to put together so I decided to make a few notches that would allow me to sqaure the tank up while I glued it together. I used .25" cell cast acrylic. All pieces are laser cut and are a perfect fit. I also made an optionial euro top brace as you can see in the pic. Hopefully you can see how the tank is assembled in the pics. Just use some acrylic safe silicone and glue her up. I simply cut some .25 pieces of plex and glued them in the tank for bubble traps and to seperate the refuge/sump area. You can see how easy this would be to ship as well since it's not put together. PM me if you are interested in buying one of my extra's you can change it around however you need it to fit your needs. ENJOY...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Looks good, well done!

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

looks great wish i had a laser lol.

can you use that like 3d object printer too?

5. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

Thanks for the compliments. No 3D. I have used this laser to make rc car parts/fish tanks/stencils etc.... I can cut up to 1" acrylic with it :eek:

6. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

hmmm, could i assemble it under my stand? only reason i ask is a 20L will fit the footprint under my stand, but i cant really manuver one in with the supports.

~Will.

7. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

Im sure you could, but I couldn't promise it. PM if you want one of these tanks, I can cut you one out any odd size you need.

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Very Nicely done and great write up too.

10. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

Thanks guys. I just wanted to clarify a few things. This is extruded acrylic which was used for mcok up. I will be using cell cast acrylic (aquarium grade) for the final tank. Having the notches was only so the average joe could square this tank up. I would not put notched into a tank any larger than this. You will also need to use a weld on solvent to glue this then use a silicon sealer to help with leaks.

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Very Nice that's the nicest DIY Sump build I've every seen.

12. Agent Jones

Agent Jones Flamingo Tongue

i would like one, how much shipped to 78254