Glofish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by snefanie, May 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. snefanie

snefanie Plankton

So, I got some glofish about 3 months ago and put them in a tank with a female betta that my boyfriend bought me. I recently just had a baby so I haven't been home lately to notice that my pink glofish got bigger, my boyfriend said that it's a possibility that it could be pregnant. I've been trying to do some research about it but nothing has really come up. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what to do if it is pregnant because I would honestly like to keep the little fish but have no idea what I'm doing. :-/

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Welcome to 3Reef!!! I don't know the answer to your question but I moved it to a forum where there will be people who do.

4. mails2thiagu

mails2thiagu Feather Duster

Do you mean freshwater glofish danios? I think they are feeded with some jelly minerals to achieve those colors and hence they cannot successfully breed. please note they are not wild caught but scientist use them for some research.

5. snefanie

snefanie Plankton

thanks. i honestly have no idea what to do. i had three glofish originally, but one died :(

6. snefanie

snefanie Plankton

yeah, i saw them at persmart, then bought some from an aquatic store. i tried looking up zebra danio breeding but still had no clue what to do.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Zebra danios are food hogs, the pink one is most likely overweight. If the fish is gravid it will scatter the eggs if it spawns.

8. Click Here!

9. snefanie

snefanie Plankton

But how will i know it will lay eggs, I have neon colored gravel, and this is about a 5 gallon tank.

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Unless you watch the tank constantly you most likely will not know. The eggs will be a milky white BTW after fertilization and very small.

11. BigJim

BigJim Spaghetti Worm

I have several female danios in my fresh water tank and they get pretty large bellies even when they are not pregnant. I thought mine looked gravid (pregant with eggs) but I have no males so that isn't possible. If you google female danio, you will see some images of how they normally look.

12. snefanie

snefanie Plankton

I googled female danio and this picture came up. http://s3.amazonaws.com/readers/2008/10/16/femaledanio_1.jpg

My fish's body structure looks like this. http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=134030&stc=1&d=1281888451