Glasstop exploded last night!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Grant, Jun 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Grant

Grant Feather Duster

Last night, my wife got up to let the dog out. Then she wakes me up to notify me that "the glass on my fish tank exploded!" Uhhhhh? Well she was mostly correct. Sometime between 1:30-3:30am the glasstop on my biocube actually did explode. Most of the glass fell into the tank, but I found shards of glass up to 6 feet from the tank/stand. Cleaning up a million little pieces of glass is so much fun, let me tell ya! This doesn't make much sense to me...btw, the light was off. Anyone ever hear of this? I am stumped???

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

it exploded because it's tempered but as to what did it do you have cats?

4. theaquapond

theaquapond Bristle Worm

This also happened to me. But I did have a light directly on top of the glass :/

5. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

sorry to hear, that is odd, was there any large temp swings in that room (did you just put AC in, or something like that)? Really just a shot in the dark on that.

I would invest in a cheap DIY mesh top that will give your tank some breathing room and you never have to worry about it shattering like that. It will also keep any jumpers in.

Very cheap & effective, check out the vid below & I've attached a pic of my tank with the cover. You can get everything you need to make it at Home Depot or Lowes and you just have to buy the mesh from BRS: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/clear-1-4-screen-netting-7-x-3.html

[​IMG]

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Wow, it takes some force to do that! The only thing I can think of is pets or heater exploding, but if the heater exploded there should be other evidence. Heat from a mh, especially if the glass gets splashed can cause cracking andshatering, but shouldn't send shards 6 feet away. Plus you said the lights were off...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

I agree,it sounds like something hit it....hard.Dang :eek:

8. Click Here!

9. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

How long was the light off? Maybe the glass was still hot and some water splashed onto the glass? Thermal shock style.

posted with tapatalk please ignore bad spelling and grammar

10. CODEE111

CODEE111 Peppermint Shrimp

So sorry to hear about the tank. Hopefully all your critters will make it through the trauma of having glass on top of them.

11. Grant

Grant Feather Duster

do you have cats?

no cats, 1 dog asleep in our bedroom.

was there any large temp swings in that room (did you just put AC in, or something like that)?

Nothing new. Been on the same schedule since setup about a year ago.

The only thing I can think of is pets or heater exploding

heater is fine

How long was the light off? Maybe the glass was still hot and some water splashed onto the glass?

MH light had been off about 2.5-4.5 hrs, depending on exactly when it happpened.

Hopefully all your critters will make it through the trauma of having glass on top of them.

Critters ok so far. Thanks for asking.

I don't know how to do that multi quote thing, so sorry for the cut/paste.

I appreciate your input, as I'm completely clueless. I'm not a fan of glasstops anyway, but I travel 4-5 days a week, so the evaporation becomes a problem. I decided to try the glasstop and have had good livestock/coral growth, so I kept using it. Also, I have a kids running around, so...ya know.

Thanks for the DIY mesh top idea. I very well may go with that. I've used eggcrate on past setups, but I'm not a huge fan of the look. I'm definitely shy about putting glass back up there, as there were tons of glass shards all over my son's toys which were near the tank. I'm glad he wasn't playing there at the time.

12. Grant

Grant Feather Duster

a couple more pics...

Attached Files: