Glass vs Acrylic

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by GoToSleep, Aug 24, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

For a big (300g) tank what are the pro and cons of Glass vs Acrylic?
    I know that acrylic scratches easier. If you are careful do they do OK?
    I'm thinking that acrylic is lighter, stronger, cheaper, and clearer (at least until it gets scratched).
    I was pretty much set on getting a glass tank for the scratch resistance but I unless I have the factory custom drill all my holes, I may be looking at drilling 8-10 holes and with the proper technique, this should be a lot easier in acrylic.

:confused::confused::confused:

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Do you have kids? The reason I ask is because, my buddy has acrylic and his kids have scratched the heck out of it

4. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

This is my own and personal opinion and reflection,

I've designed and installed my share of systems. Glass and acrylic alike from 10 to 700 gallons. My own personal home aquarium, a 240g, is a euro-brace glass tank. It took pulleys, ten strong guys, and a lot of payment in pizza to get it into my living room. If you can physically get enough help to install a certain tank, do it in glass. No matter how hard you try, and how careful you are, acrylic will scratch, and it will even develop minute, but annoying, cracks on its own from building pressure over the years. Live rock tumbles, coralline algae gets frustrating and you will get angry at it, you will also get angry if you ever have to remove a very elusive fish from your system, and nets and algae scrappers will take their toll on your tank.

Again, this is coming solely from my own experience. Whenever I design a new system, I always recommend a glass aquarium, because in three, four, five years time, my client will be a million times happier with their tank because of how it looks. Temperature fluctuation is easily controlled, lighting can be intensified and/or refocused, but scratches are a major pain in your rear.

2 people like this.
  5. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

boy, boy, girl 10, 8, & 8

Why doesn't your buddy just tell the kids not to put their hands on the tank :yelrotflm

Mine listen to me as long as I phrase things properly :whip:

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I would go glass all the way, Reefplayground could not have said it better. Acrylic WILL scratch.

7. kmmetalman

kmmetalman Plankton

This is a very definitive post for me.Reefplayground said everything I was thinking. I am moving in 6 months and have my fishroom planned out with a 300g tank and WAS undecided on glass or acrylic , but now I will be getting glass! The LR comment sealed that for me,I managed to scratch(very small) my glass when first setting my LR! Nice call guys!!!!

8. Click Here!

9. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

I just came across yet another option. One of my LFS pointed me towards A.G.E. (acrylic and glass exhibits). Probably not the only ones who will do it, but these guys make 'hybrid' aquariums: Glass sides with acrylic bottoms and acrylic Eurobracing around the top.

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

This man has nailed it on the freakin nose. I couldnt agree more. Glass is heavier and more expensive, but trust me when I tell you, its worth it. The only time that I "might" even consider an acrylic tank is if Im going to use it for a sump or a QT. As for getting a 'hybrid' tank, I dont recommend mixing glass with acrylic. You should stick with either all glass or all acrylic. Just my 2 cents. Luna

11. jbaker

jbaker Feather Duster

My tank is acrylic and I'm very careful with it but somehow I still manage to get scratches. One of the worst things you could do with an acrylic tank is to use a magnetic cleaner. Those things are constantly picking up stuff in the water. My next tank will be glass.

12. tinnghe

tinnghe Purple Spiny Lobster

I am being back this old thread. Anyone know how to contact AGE? Been calling them and emailing but no reply. I am thinking either AGE or miracles to build my 180 glass