Glass scratches

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by IBMGeek, Feb 16, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

Hi. I have a 90 gallon which has a lot of scratches on the inside. Do you think that the scratches will be too noticeable once I put water inside of it?

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

It will depend on how light hits it! How deep the scratch is or how big and long. Unfortunately, their isn't really anything you can do to remove or fix it IMO> Be careful with cleaning your glass, to not pick up pieces of your substrate and drag it along your tank glass while cleaning it. Also falling rock will make marks in your glass alot of times as well!

4. IBMGeek

yeah i suspect it was the rocks. Some are the scratches are pretty long and medium deep. When i filled it with water outside they were not that noticeable.But i dont know how it will look when i put my lights on. Turbo came to my house today and saw the tank and he said that i might be able to get a custom tank for around $600. Thats too much money so im going to try it out with the scratches first.

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Yup, I wouldn't waste money to buy a new tank due to a few scratches! You probably won't even pay attention to them!

6. IBMGeek

Im going to test it out if its too bad then I see what to do. Also i have a center brace on the top about 15" wide by 1" thickness. Do you think that will block out too much of the light from my t5s. Thanks for the replies.:thumb_up:

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Well the long and short , simple or complicated answer to the visible scratch question is Yes.. :-[

8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

No!!, your t5's are not like halides(point source light) meaning the light is generated from the small bulb. T5's distribute the light all along the length of the tube thererfore, the light isn't as intense in a given smaller radius as is accompanied by halide!

10. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Good explanation! I gave him my opinion yesturday when i saw his center brace, its about a foot wide, so i thought it would affect even thou it was made of 1/2 inch glass.

11. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

His center brace is that wide?
    Wow! That will make somewhat of a difference! I would place my corals that are less light conscious under the are of the brace and the stronger light required corals to the side of the brace to receive as much light as possible to ensure their zooxanthellae are receiving the beneficial light they need!!!

12. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

LOL, up its very wide, i told him the same, and his scratches are a bit deep, IMO they will be visible!