Glass get a scratch? OOWWWW!!!

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Stovebolt-V8, Mar 31, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stovebolt-V8

Stovebolt-V8 Feather Duster

I was recently in the process of cleaning the front glass of my tank but didn't check the outside magnet very close and I got a deep scratch all the way across the tank and of course it was dead center! :angry: I started researching ways of repairing it but found that some glass shops would try but I had to bring it in, ya right!! :-X I kept searching and found an outfit that sells a kit to do it yourself. I bought a kit then went back and bought more agressive pads (had a deep scratch) and it's WORKING!! ;D It's not real easy but it does work. I've spent about four hours at it so far grinding out the deep part (I work slow in 15 to 20 min shifts, old fart :-[) I'll keep all informed of my progress. Here's the link to my source DIY Glass Scratch Repair | Glass Scratch Removal Equipment & Supplies | Gtglass | Glass Technology, Inc.

2. Click Here!

3. R33f

R33f Astrea Snail

Are you using this with the tank full and with inhabitants? My three year old "wanted to clean the fishies" and i have a few scratches near the sand line.

4. Stovebolt-V8

Yep! Tank is in it's normal state. In fact because it's full of water it keeps the glass cool during the process. My Banded Shrimp keeps coming over to inspect the work!

5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Well which one are you using? I have some light scratches, mostly there when I got the tank used.

If I can take some of the light ones out, I'm interested.

6. Stovebolt-V8

I bought the repair/scratch-magic-plus kit at $67 but then had to go back and order more pads in course and med/course due to the depth of my scratch, got the 25 ea. packages . I could catch my finger nail in it quite easy :eek: If your scratch is pretty light the original kit I bought would probably do fine. Here's a link to it

https://www.gtglass.com/diy-glass-scratch-repair/scratch-magic-plus-glass-scratch-repair-kit

I'm now down to the last 6 or 7 inches to sand out. Spent most of today watching NASCAR, NEWMAN WON!! Now back to the grind

7. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

I've always wondered if a dremel would be a useful tool for buffing out scratches.

8. Click Here!

9. Stovebolt-V8

Don't think a Dremel would work very well. You have to smooth the glass over a wide area to keep from distorting the glass. That's why deep scratches are sooooooo hard to clean up.

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Thanks,

But that's got me wondering what is so special about their abrasives?
    Wouldn't it seem the appropriate abrasive pad would work fine?

11. Stovebolt-V8

If you could figure out how they make their pads that might work but they don't use an abrasive material until you get down to the polishing part. The pads are some sort of impregnated fiberglass material coming in different grits. I tried using a felt pad with glass polishing material like Eastwood offers for windshields but after 4 hours of work there wasn't any noticeable change to the scratch.

12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Oh, I understand, sounds like a product that actually does what it's intended for! What scratched yours so bad?