Resolved Glass cracked on tank, flood on floor, what do I do now?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by rickz, Jan 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rickz

rickz Astrea Snail

Yes, I live in hong kong. livestock is cheap here, but i still want to save as much as i can.

2. Click Here!

3. rickz

rickz Astrea Snail

Well, I moved all the coral into the 30g including some rock. I'd like to move my potters and hippo out of the rubbermaid as soon as possible, since they're the more sensitive fish. The trigger isn't happy about his space being downsized - he seems to want to jump up alot. I put the lid over the top just in case.

Think tommorow would be safe to move some fish over?

4. rickz

rickz Astrea Snail

And another question - now that my rocks and sand are in rubbermaid bins, do they need to be constantly heated? I currently have koralias and heaters in both bins, but I'd like to use the heaters for keeping fresh salt water warm (since I'll be doing water changes daily for my poor fish)

Or do I bite the bullet and buy yet another heater? I already have 4, don't really know what I'd do with another one after this ordeal is over.

Thx

1 person likes this.
  5. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

The rock and sand don't care. If you have crabs and snails hiding in the rock, now that would be different.

6. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

can you fix you existing tank by going to a glass/window shop and get that back panel replaced? 1/4" tempered glass? and re silicone?

7. acemow

acemow Purple Spiny Lobster

As for the rock and sand, the light I have over my rubbermaid bin that holds some extra keeps the water temp. decent. I feel for ya, that's a nightmare to deal with. Sounds like you're keeping it under control though.

8. Click Here!

9. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

wow you have had a hell of a day first of make sure you get the floor dry as bone then put a strong fan or 2 to dry it realy good so that you will not destroy the wood if i was u i would stop by the lfs or craigs list and get a new 100 gallon asap

and you should keep the sand wet and at normal tank temp so that the bacteria dosnt die if not your tank will recycle when you set it back up

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  10. rickz

rickz Astrea Snail

Well, my potters angel didn't make it. Probably too much stress over the past 2 days. Hippo tang is going into the 30g now, lets hope he's stronger (doubtful though).

Yes, I've had a dehumidifier running for 2 days now to help save the floors, who knows if it'll work. I've come to terms that the floors will probably crack, but I am most concerned with mold (its very very humid in HK).

I am also heading out to the fishstreet to get a new tank asap. Since i'm spending the money, i figured i might as well re-do everything. Spent all night redesigning the overflow/sump/fuge to the way I want it exactly. No point in fixing the tank, too much of a pain to move it back and forth - and also I don't trust it anymore.

I'll be going with a thicker glass for the new tank for sure. Anyone know of how to protect the glass from the rock my second time around? I was thinking of eggcrate for the bottom and back side, and rest the rocks on it. I know it'll probably look ugly unless i can cover all the eggcrate with rocks, but I really don't want to deal with this kind of a mess ever again.

11. rickz

rickz Astrea Snail

Hmm... i've already taken the heater out to warm other things. There has been flow over the sand, but no heat for maybe 24 hours. I'd very much like to just dump everything back in the new tank with minimal cycle if possible.Do you think the bacteria has already died?

12. rickz

rickz Astrea Snail

Just a quick update:

- ordered a new tank and new sump, should be arriving in 2 weeks (will re-do all plumbing and add a fuge, maybe i'll make a build thread)
    - trigger didn't make it
    - hippo tang doing well in 30g, beat the ich, color is back
    - corals are 'surviving'
    - shrimps, urchin, chromis were put into a 3g QT tank, I added live rock, looks like a pico tank now

thanks to everyone that gave suggestions, was much appreciated.