Resolved Glass cracked on tank, flood on floor, what do I do now?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by rickz, Jan 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rickz

rickz Astrea Snail

Woke up this morning to find that the back panel on my 100g cracked. Half of the tank was already empty, with water all over my hardwood floors. The worst part of it, was that I couldn't stop the tank from draining, since the crack goes all the way down to the bottom.

I had to get the fish/coral/rocks out of the tank ASAP to stop the leaking. In 10 minutes, I tore down what I've worked so hard for in the past. :cry:

Anyways, now that my floor is dry (actually, it's probably not, since the salt water has gone into the wood flooring) - what do I do with my fish/coral/inverts/rock/sand?

I currently have them in decently sized rubbermaid buckets, but I can't keep them there too long.

FISH
    5" Blue Throat trigger
    3" Potters Angel
    2" Hippo Tang
    3 x 2" Chromis

INVERTS
    3 x cleaner shrimp
    2 x peppermint shrimp
    1 x long spine urchin
    3 x bubble tip anemone (they split from one big one)
    a bunch of snails, but I dont care too much for them

CORAL
    pagoda cup
    various zoas
    frogspawn
    plate
    clover polyps
    torch

I have a 30g FOWLR that is currently housing a Juvi Emperor Angel, Juvi Porcupine Puffer, and a 2" clownfish. What do i transfer into this tank? the corals or the fish? (I'll also have to deal with the rock and sand, but i'll think about those later)

I'm thinking the bioload might be too large for the 30g if i add all the fish. Alternatively I could do it one by one slowly. On the other hand, my corals probably cost more than my fish - is there a risk of putting all my corals into the 30g? I also have a 5g QT tank, i'm thinking of putting the inverts in there (no copper has ever been used in the QT).

Any and all suggestions are welcome. thanks. what a day, and it's just started for me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. slocal

slocal Doot!

Oh wow, that's heartbreaking. I'd suggest putting half in the FOWLER and keeping the hardier ones in the container for now till you can get another tank. My heart goes out to you :(

4. rickz

rickz Astrea Snail

if anyone is wondering....this is what it USED to look like.... :cry::cry::cry:

Attached Files:

5. davidkaleko

davidkaleko Flamingo Tongue

Maybe put the fish in the 30g and attach a powerful skimmer to it? I'd imagine that would work. I'd put most of the corals in the 30 too (if you'll have a new large tank soon), and maybe a few with the inverts in the QT (if you've got sufficient lighting for the corals there).

Sorry, sounds like a tough situation :/

Good luck!

6. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

im guessing you can put the lights over the bucket with the coral in. and i think it should work.

the fish might do fine if you can find them a bigger container. ( you can transfer some of your fish to your 20 but not all)

can your LFS hold them fish for you if you asked him? ( maybe pay him a little to help you out?)

7. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

How long before you can get the tank replaced?

In addition to Slocal suggestion, if it is only a few days...likely you could get by with what you have done if you can add a heater, circulation, and daily water changes to each container...you won't be able to keep that up very long...

If it is more than just a few days, you'll need a longer term solution. My LFS has provided temporary emergency shelter is such circumstances...have you checked around you?

8. Click Here!

9. frkid247

frkid247 Sea Dragon

i say put the corals in the qt tank if it wont harm them and put the fish in with the other fish and put the inverts in the qt tank if it can handle it. idk how big everything is?

10. rickz

rickz Astrea Snail

yes, i'm thinking to put the potters and hippo in the FOWLR, the others will stay in a bucket. I can move my big skimmer to the 30g, but i'd have to setup a sump for it and get a new pump (i use an external pump on my main tank, so i'll have to get a submersible)

i can also get a new 100g tank, but thats probably going to take 2 weeks. and if i'm going to get a new tank, i'm probably going to want some changes for the better so i'll take my time with the new setup.

can anyone see a problem if i put ALL my corals in the 30g? will this cause a spike of some sort? I can move a MH light to the 30G if needed.

as for the LFS keeping fish for me, i really doubt it. in hong kong, they only care about selling fish - and space is a luxury here....

thanks for all the suggestions so far - please keep them coming... i'd like to cover as many angles as i can.

11. frkid247

frkid247 Sea Dragon

you live in hong kong!?

12. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

and out of all of this.. do you know how did your tank cracked?

idk whether to put your corals in that tank since you have fish that are not reef safe.