Glass Aquarium Top without Black Strip

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by chumslickjon, Jan 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong category since it's not directly a lighting question, but it does indirectly affect lighting in my tank which is why I'm asking.

I've always used glass tops that have the black strip in the center, you know the ones I'm talking about. This definitely effects lighting, especially skinny T5 bulbs. Does anyone know of a brand of glass top that doesn't use that black strip?

2. Click Here!

3. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Look at making a clear mesh top. It will do many things for you that the glass top wont

It lets air get to the tank, cruicial for proper gas exchange.
    You cant even tell its there, its a net so light has no problem penetrating.
    and it still holds in those jumping fish.

i wouldnt use a glass top on any of my tanks. The glass diffuses the light, how ever slight it may be. Mesh doesnt do any of that. and it may be cheaper to buy a window screen frame, and the net and spline.

4. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Why are you using a glass top at all? The glass also reduces light (I have heard up to 20-30%)

5. chumslickjon

I get a ton of evap from having an open sump. The glass on top helps with splashing in my office and slows the evap a little. I've never had a problem with using a glass top on either of my tanks, otherwise I'd go another route. The problem I have with the black strip sounds like an easy one to solve. My Cad lights nano has a top without the black strips and my corals are growing like crazy.
    Does anyone have any suggestions, if not I'll be building one.

6. SnooknRedz

so you put the glass over the sump? or the tank? im confused.

7. chumslickjon

My sump is open due to all the devices sticking out of it, the top is for the display tank itself.
    It's a 29 Gallon High. I've always used a PC light, but just tried a T5 and the black strip blocks out the light from one of my bulbs. It's a pretty dumb design.

8. Click Here!

9. SnooknRedz

thats what thru me off.. lol well all i can say is goto a glass shop and have em cut you a piece, if that is what you want.

i would try at least to give the mesh a shot... It will benefit you. I know evap may be high, but maybe that can be controlled by adjusting the room temp and humidity it sits in. or by staying on top of it with top offs.

10. chumslickjon

Tank is in my office, no way to control whats in here and it's best to try and keep things like lids on, since who knows when the cleaning lady might be spraying endust. I'm even nervous with the open sump, and I've talked to her so she does know better, but you can never be too safe. I've found some stink bugs in the sump recently too, all the more reason to try and cover it. Hopefully they're not toxic to the tank.

11. SnooknRedz

Oh okay i see where your getting at. I would give a local glass shop a call

12. chumslickjon

I might even try home depot and pick up some acrylic depending on price.