Glass anemone!!!!!!!! EVERYWHERE!!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by oceaninside, Oct 13, 2005.

1. oceaninside

oceaninside Plankton

Ok gang, now I know this topic has been covered many times before but I have my pride and joy tank being over taken by glass anemonies. Does anyone have any suggestions other then mithrax crabs or lemon juice injections to help me get rid of these things. Any help or input would be awesome.
    Thanks,
    Jake
  2. Click Here!

3. cerpin_taxt

cerpin_taxt Bristle Worm

i shot my glass anemone with a syringe full of boiling water, and that seemed to do the trick. give that a try
  4. allaboutfish37

allaboutfish37 Feather Duster

well I had about 20 of them growing and I got a copper band and he eat all of them.my daughter tank had a few and we got a peppermint shrimp and he eat them as well. look here
    http://www.seahorse-nw.com/Predators.html

if they get to big use a syringe full of boiling water ;D
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2005
  5. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Ditto on the peppermint shrimp, cool and more reef safe than the copper band. Get on it early and the shrimp will do fine. If it get out of hand find the aiptasia eating nudibrach I believe that to be the nuclear option.
  6. Ice

Ice Astrea Snail

I use kalkwasserand feeed it ot them like food. I mix just enough RO water with the kalkwasser to make it the consistancy of soft icecream and feed it to them, at first they thimk it's food so they close up around it. the nice thing in my opinion it that the kalkwasser hardens and stays where the anemone is so it can't come back

hope it helps

Peter
  7. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

joes juice (pre mixed Kalk)
  8. Click Here!

9. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Oh yeah I bought one piece of LR got it home and like a dozen aiptasias popped out of it. Didn't want to chance getting those lillte bastards in the tank so I took it in the shower turn it on hot and fried the aiptasia. Not for the faint of heart because it kills everything esle on the rock but it works in small cases.
  10. blue_eyes53813

blue_eyes53813 Flamingo Tongue

I took out the live rock, without corals or anything else alive on it and scrubbed the buggers off with an old toothbrush and hot water. I rinsed the rock off very very very very well before putting it back in the tank. Peppermint shrimp are good too.
  11. fishertropicals

fishertropicals Plankton

I have had 5 peppermint shrimp in my tank for the last year and i have never had any aiptasia
  12. oceaninside

oceaninside Plankton

thanks guys for the input. ill give these ideas a shot.
  13. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

I just put in 2 Pepperment shrip, I hope they will work for me, Joe's juice works but I can not get to some of them things.
  14. Click Here!

15. Big_Wally_B

Big_Wally_B Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Peppermint shrimp

Not all peppermint shrimp take to them. If you got two then of course you double your chances of getting one that will munch. Good luck.;)
  16. Fastlife

Fastlife Fire Worm

Will the peppermint shrimp eat any other thing in the tank ( mushrooms or polyps)? Thats what i was told by my LFS so i bought a copperband and he solved my problem. Only he died and the glass anemone are making a comback. So i am thinking on getting either another copperband or 2 peppermint shrimp, just not sure if my LFS is telling me the truth.
  17. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

The LFS advice strikes again. The copperband is a whole lot less reef safe than the peppermint shrimp.
  18. Fastlife

Fastlife Fire Worm

so what are u saying, my copperband did just fine with my corals. all he got rid of is the anemone. He did his job, but will the peppermint shrimp harm anything else?
  19. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

The Copperband may pick on anemones and feather dusters. They are fish often used to control aiptasia anemones in the reef aquarium. The Copperband Butterflyfish is a difficult fish to feed as it may need a variety of foods offered to it in order to start feeding.
    The Peppermint shrimp may eat the aiptsia it may ignore it all together.. It's a roll of the dice.

Jim