Given all the LED options which is Best?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by bigdubb, Jun 27, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bigdubb

bigdubb Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have a 60gal 24x24 cube tank with 6 T5s on the tank at the moment. I'd like to upgrade to LED, but am trying to figure out which one is best. Radion or Vertex. What are your thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

What about 2 20 inch Razors? Or a DIY fixture (Evil Clusters and Lumina Multichip would be great over your tank)

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Or a Reefbreeders, Taotronics, others?

5. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

What corals are you planning? SPS? LPS? Softies?

6. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Some of those fixtures look really nice, but IIRC some of the leds they use are pretty sad knockoffs.

7. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Reef-breeders was a great inexpensive option for me.

I got the Photon16 fixture.

8. Click Here!

9. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Really happy with my 20" razor,I think one would be sufficient for a 24"x24"cube.My lfs uses radions over their frag tanks and they look really good as well,although the coverage area seem a little smaller than with my razor.Perhaps different optics are available.Reefbreeders offers a lot of options including custom diode layout and options for different optics.

10. bigdubb

bigdubb Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

No comments about the Radions. That's where I'm kind of leaning, I like the precise configurability of the lighting and color as well as the programmability of the system. Has anyone had any experience with these?

11. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I've owned Radions, AI Sols, DIY LED layouts, among some other cheap "knockoff" brands. I loved my Radion. The Sols were missing something (lack of color spectrum, since fixed with the Vega and Hydra). I prefer to do business with a company that has outstanding customer service, and produces their own product from design, to manufacturing, to distribution (EcoTech and AI). I don't think you could go wrong with either of those brands.

12. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

I have a couple of Chinese 120's, they were never quite right to me, they are now my sump and spare sump light, replaced with 2 photon 32's which were great value and light the world up in an amazing way.

Reef breeders all day every day for me, for value, quality and just the sheer looks.