Ghost feeding

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Flyguysc, Feb 28, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Flyguysc

Flyguysc Astrea Snail

Once a day, every other day ? Cheap food ? what's the best routine for this procedure ? :confused:

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

are you talking about gut loading ghost shrimps? or general feeding habits?

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I think maybe the question is for cycling? I think I've usually read where the recommendation is every day to help kick start ammonia. If the question refers to cycling, you may be better to put in a table shrimp and let it sit and the decomposition will start your cycle.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

How big is the tank flyguy? For a large tank one small (not tiny) size pinch at each end of the tank every other day. For a nano30 gallons or under one smaller pinch every other day.

What are your values now?

6. Flyguysc

Flyguysc Astrea Snail

I took the dead stinky shrimp out 2/26/14. My parameter readings as of 2/27/17 are PH 8.1 ,NHO3/4- 2.0ppm ,NO2-0.25, NO3- o ppm. To maintain the cycling so it want stall I was advised to Ghost feed a couple of my favorite make believe fish. The tank is 90 gals.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You can go the pure ammonia route as well. Personally I prefer to feed my phantom fish.

8. Click Here!

9. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

They also never jump or nip at your corals ;)

1 person likes this.
  10. Flyguysc

Flyguysc Astrea Snail

It is amazing how I can set here and stare at a fishless tank and dream of what's to come. Six more weeks. In for the long haul. yea baby bring it on. Cycling is tuff.;D

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

may I ask what are your favorite make believe fish that you are feeding? :) You will be so happy that you are taking this slow and steady and not rushing though - you'll have good results when it comes to adding in the livestock!

12. Flyguysc

Flyguysc Astrea Snail

Doggy fish ;D Have two ghost dogs Pandora & Abigale which seemed appropriate for the occasion. I do like the Coral Beauty Angel fish. I think one of those will be a good first fish.