GHA Still

Discussion in 'Algae' started by SnooknRedz, Mar 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Its been months and im still having Green Hair Algea blooms. I have WAY more GFO than i need, im doing water changes, cut back my lights as suggested, not overfeeding .removed (several times) all the algea i could from sand and rocks during wc. but its a battle i've come to the conclusion that i will never win. It sucks but thats where im at. I was planning on adding more corals but there's no point anymore the algea will grow right over it. Soon i will have a 55g ( when petco has their sale again) so ill start off fresh again but damn this GHA. First thing ppl say when looking at my tank is, ew whats that green (crap), they overlook the livestock and im just sick of it. idk what to do any longer. im sure ill have a nice tank ... one day.

2. Click Here!

3. Ducksmasher

Ducksmasher Purple Spiny Lobster

blackout.. 24 hr fuge, add more cfl's

4. SnooknRedz

I dont have a sump... or cfls. and i have coral, cant black out my tank..

5. Ducksmasher

yes, you can.. corals will survive without light for weeks.. if you had a sump with cheato on 24 hour lighting, the macro would outcompete the gha for nutrients. consider it.

6. Ducksmasher

btw, in hindsight, if I went with a 55, I would get a 55 sump. the bigger the better. at least half fuge.

7. SnooknRedz

Really? my only coral right now is some polyps about 7 of them. they would be fine for a while with no light? and i was going to do a sump but im really looking to upgrade to a 55 soon and use my current 20L as the sump so theres no point in doing it on this tank and wasting money.

8. Click Here!

9. SnooknRedz

very true, I might look into doing that, i figured my 20L would do just fine. but i know the bigger the better. Ill have to see how the wallet looks when it comes time to getting the tank.