GHA- Isolated patch, but need it gone!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Astrick117, Feb 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Hey Everyone,

As many of you know, I transitioned from my 2 tanks to one 46g. Before the transition, my one tank had a major GHA problem and I decided not to use any of that LR because of it. However, I had a small zoa colony that I transferred and it had a small patch of GHA with it.

I figured that the new tank would take care of it as the water params would be more stable (larger tank) and I would be starting with 0 Phosphates/ nitrates.

Well, it is actually growing and I want it gone because it is starting to overgrow the zoas. I can't remove the small piece of frag because it has now grown onto the actual rock and I don't want to pull on it because of the zoas releasing toxins.

Any thoughts on a way to get rid of it without harming the zoas. I am looking for a short term fix.

I know that everyone will probably say to just find the underlying cause (which I am currently trying to figure out). I don't know if I am over feeding or if my RODI water is tainted. I just replaced my filters/ DI canister this weekend and I have a TDS meter coming tomorrow or Wed. So I'm going to find out if it's my water.