Unresolved gf thingers tank o death

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by loneracer05, Aug 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

ok well ill start with the tank stats:

55 galon tank no sump/fuge
    aquac remora skimmer
    hob filter for upto75 gal
    temp 80*f
    this is a fowlr tank with about 65 lbs lr
    tank is almost 2 years old
    there are no mantis or anything like that
    no amonia trites or trates
    water is slightly hard and ph is slightly low other then that perfect
    no copper
    2 koralia 3s
    no stray voltage
    no use of aerosol spray or cleaning products anywhere near the tank

ok onto the story

thiss is my gf thingers tank so i can only take care of it half the week.the tank was doing great until a huge LTA melted over night. thisng developed ich and died shortly after. we decided to leave the tank fishless for 8 weeks and raise the temp to 84 to speed up the ich cycle alittle.after the 8 week plopped in a damsel. all fish are drip aclimated for 1-3 hrs depending on sensitivity. fissh looked good for a week then died. no signs of ich on it. tried a firefish..stayed alive woohoo. we start restocking slowly.(all fish go threw 4 week qt).tried 6 purple psuedos none would make it more then a trip to the rocks.finally the tank is doing ehhh.a mimic tang went dead 2 clowns then a clown trigger. all baby sized. but removed asap. she really wanted a queen angel so bad so now the tank only has 2-3 damsles and a baby chainlink eel. that night angel gets ick dies before morning. i test and water change with rodi and still nothing can live...any ideas...sry if that was a little blurry lol had a long day.

she gave up for afew days then decided she wanted another firefish so i went with her to a lfs..no firefish but she sees an undulated trigger she fell inlove with and she buys it. the guy there sells her an orange toadfish with it. that was last night...today they are ok so far

forgot to mention inverts are all ok including 2 coral banded shrimp. and the eel is still alive and well.

at this point im starting to think its either aliens or some crazy ick because things die so fast.

i have started taking all inverts out in order to start hypo treatment.any and all suggestions are very much apreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. doog

doog Peppermint Shrimp

ok,
    how about some param's?

4. loneracer05

0 amonia,0 no3 0 no4 in the tank stats paragraph.i dont have a phosephate kit but i suspect theyr low theres no algea grown really

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

What's the specific gravity?

6. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

after the anemone died did you do a large water change?
    maybe there are some left over toxins from it? ( although i dont see why the inverts would be alive)
    whats your temp? salinity?

and finally, are all your fish from the same LFS?

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Run carbon in the HOB filter for a couple weeks. The toxins from the LTA might be causing some issue, and its never a horrible idea to run carbon every few weeks anyway. Could be a killer crab, or 02 levels. I have had a random death in my tank as well, the only thing i can come up with is a dead spot where lack of o2 might have killed the fish being it was a tang. It was either that or my pom pom crab lol. Any chance you might have a gorrilia crab in there? how are the fish's bodies when you pull them out. Any 'feeding' marks on them?

8. Click Here!

9. loneracer05

salinity is 1.024 temps usually around 80 ...nope no chance of pest crabs or mantis shrimps. all started from base rock and sand.fish come from many lfs,online orders and local trades.

after the nem died the tank was almost drained and refilled twice a very small amonia spike fallowed but there was only afew snails and hermits who pulled through.

the trigger,toad fish and eel that are currently in the tank are doing fine but the are getting fed alot and the food id soaked in vitamins and selcon and spirulina stuff. the toad fish hasnt eaten yet not sure y.ill make a new post on him though

10. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

what is your exact acclimation process of the fish?

11. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

That was going to be my suggestion lol

Hey mate, i noticed you said you have a toad fish and a trigger......

Are you def sure its a toad fish and not a frog fish? Either they both have immense appetites...

Im surprised your shrimp are still alive.

12. loneracer05

oops i run carbon in the hob 24/7 since day 1...its part of the filter pads....

yup its a red toadfish for sure... he apparently ate in the lfs sat night so hes probably ssettling in and not hunry just yet.and the 2 shrimp were just moved last night to our former octopus tank.