Getto ATO (auto top off)

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Damsels R Cool, Apr 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

A stronger built jug like a 2 liter that has threaded cap should work.

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I'm curious as to how the air pump is going to be controlled... how does this know when your tank is topped off?

4. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

ok so its not done yet??? looks very cool

5. Damsels R Cool

Damsels R Cool Millepora

the problem with the threaded cap is if there is too much pressure the jug would rupture the 1 gallon jug that i use the cap "pops" when there is too much pressure

6. bama

bama Humpback Whale

There is no way a measly air pump could burst a 2 liter bottle. When we used to make dry ice bombs in them back in high school they would almost expand to double the size before bursting..

My question is how do you regulate how much water you are filling without overflow or ruining your pump..

7. Damsels R Cool

Damsels R Cool Millepora

it's a air pump so no damage would come if the jug runs dry i'm going to get a valve used for air and put one on each line to control the amount of air and water i want a constant drip of water into my tank about as much as a regular water bottle a day

8. Click Here!

9. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

All you need to control is your back pressure on the air. A simple T off the air line, or a third line in the jug that is to vent air will lower the back pressure and regulate the flow of water. A small needle valve, or some obstruction in the "vent" will let you vary the back pressure. You might try a Hagen venturi valve, they're like $1 and pretty tunable.

in loose terms, 100cc of air will displace 100cc of water. If you vent 99cc of air for every 100 you put in you'd get 1cc of water out.

Restricting the water flow will just lead to pressure build up which will eventually kill the pump. Restricting the air flow will put far too much back pressure on the pump and cause it to fail.

-Doug

10. Damsels R Cool

Damsels R Cool Millepora

thats a good idea so basically i have a T valve with line A coming from the air pump to the T valve line b from the T valve to the jug And line c from the t valve to no where with something to control the flow there i get it

11. Damsels R Cool

Damsels R Cool Millepora

i tried putting another small hole (pin sized hole) in the cap and it works

1 person likes this.
  12. dufresne

dufresne Feather Duster