Getting ready to add corals

Discussion in 'Frags' started by CntrSnr2001, Oct 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CntrSnr2001

CntrSnr2001 Astrea Snail

tank has cycled, fish are in, inverts are in. now im ready to add some coral frags (since they are so much cheaper lol)

had trouble digging through all the threads. i'm looking for someone to talk down to me and tell me how to actually install these things. i have seen them at the stores and such but do i simply lay them on the rock and the spread? ive head about glues but my rock is in the tank. any help is appreciated!

in the mean time, I'm still researching what species i want in the tank based on space, lighting and water flow.

thanks in advace!

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

CntrSnr2001

depends to some degree what the frags are and what they are attached to

some frags are on plugs with spikes and these could be pushed into holes in the rockwork
    other frags are on sections of tiles, or bits of rock or flat plugs

you can use glue, superglue gel , applied to the base of the plug after drying it and then push the plug or tile where you want it and hold for a few seconds ( dont twist it as this will prevent the instant setting your looking for)

a better method IMO is to use reef putty, which is a 2 part epoxy that you mix equal quantities of each, and then again apply a ball of putty to the base of the frag, and then push it into the rock work where you want it

a combination method using putty and glue is the most consistent (works nearly every time)

in the combination method you still make a ball of putty and then make a small dent in it fill the dent with superglue and then press onto the plug
    then make another dent on the other side of putty, fill with superglue and then press onto your rockwork

Steve

4. kram

kram Plankton

I assume this is out of the tank? Might seem like a dumb question but...

5. Pre-game

Pre-game Astrea Snail

Interesting, I learn something everythime I get on this site!