Getting parameters right

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by pja24, Jul 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pja24

pja24 Bristle Worm

I have 55gallon reef approx. 5 months old. It was started with 100lbs base rock, base sand, refugium (chaeto), small cuc (reefcleaners). Cycled with shrimp method. It contains two clowns, one green chromis. Water changes every two weeks with reef crystals. Parameters have been ok. Got mag. test kit yesterday and my parameters are:

Ph: 8.0
    nitrate: 0
    Phos: 0
    Salinity: 1.024
    calcium: 360 Should be 420??
    Mag. 1100 Should be 1350??
    alk 9

I purchased bulkreef supply 2 part dosing kit for future corals etc. My main question is what should i raise first? I have read mag. may bring the calcium levels up with it. Or should i try to correct the calcium first, then the mag. I was going to use the calculator on the bulkreef web site for the dosages to get to proper levels. Just a little confused on what to dose first. I have read about using calcium and alk first then mag. when there is a demand, but i have no corals rights now and no real demand. Any ideas. I also plan to drip them in slowly.

2. Click Here!

3. T-BASS

T-BASS Astrea Snail

From what I gather it's difficult to manage Ca & Alk if Mag isn't up to snuff. What is your Alk at?

4. pja24

pja24 Bristle Worm

Alk is at 9. I have heard the same on the calcium/alk. That's kinda where i'm at.

5. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Luckily I had a really reputable LFS help me with my dosing regimen. We tested every Saturday (the day of my WC) and got onto a schedule. I dose ALK/CA/MG on Saturdays & Wednesdays.

Your MG is def much harder to raise and stabilizes your ALK/CA, so you need to raise that first.

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Without a doubt get your Mg above 1400 first. Raise no more than 100 points per day.

Once that's up, wait a couple days to make sure it's right and test again. If still right, then proceed to Ca.

I find I have to dose Ca daily and Mg monthly to maintain stable params (after I've dosed to get them up to where I want them I mean).

I also dose Alk daily, but I would advise against trying to make it be some magic number. Just get Mg and Ca where they need to be and if dKH is 9-14 I'd let it choose the right number and just dose to maintain, not to raise... Seems IME tanks have their own Alk level they naturally sync to. 9 is fine.

7. pja24

pja24 Bristle Worm

I just did a water change and it seemed to help the calcium(was 320 now 360). It was a little lower prior to the water change. I did not have a mag test kit then but do know. I will be getting the mag up and going from there. Thanks