Getting my sea urchin today!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Puffer Chick, Oct 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Those are both good signs. You should also see silia, small white feeder tentacles, waving in the current after it is fully acclimated.

2. Click Here!

3. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

4. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

how long should this take? he's only been in there for a few minutes now, does it take time for them to adjust and start moving about the tank?

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i also saw a pic of the white feeder tenticles online, and he doesn't have them out yet and he hasn't moved either

6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

so i had to turn my lights on so the fish could see their food, but their being stupid right now and would rather fight and swim away than pay attention and eat, so their not going to eat tonight cause i don't want there to be uneaten food everywhere.

So with the lights on, i can see the feeder tenticles that are longer than the spikes, which are pretty cool, so he is alive :D now time to think of a name

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

dude! i just saw him move! too cool! and he's already picking stuff up and putting it on his back/side.

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

here's a pic two of the lights on, you can't tell in this pic, but he is deffinently a dark blue, and the feeder tenticles are long and way cool. so glad i got this guy, i just hope he lives :D

[​IMG]

10. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

Give it time.. i noticed mine is more active at night... If i remember right Urchins pick stuff up to shade themselves kinda like sunscreen. And just when you think your tank is clean.. Your urchin will prove that wrong by picking everything up..

Looks Great ...

BEst of luck..

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  11. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

yea he's already moved around a bit on the rock that i placed him on, i know my sand is pretty dirty from old die off so it has little rocks all over it, but i guess my live rock is a little dirty too :)

12. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

You'd be surprised at all the junk that settles onto your rocks. 1st time I moved a few rocks to change the formation of my tank I was a little grossed out needless to say.

Your urchin looks awesome, glad to see its going well! :).