Getting my first fish tomorrow!!!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by KatherineM, Jan 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If the tank has been running with sand in it for 3 weeks, and you have a value of 0 or ammonia and nitrite, you could do a water change.

The water should be fresh sw, not from the other tank, needs to be either premixed or a saltmix with RO/DI water. If after you do a water change and wait a couple days and restest and values are good then I would proceed with a small CUC and let them settle for a couple days, retest and see where you are at.

2. Click Here!

3. KatherineM

KatherineM Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

ok. what exactly will a water change do?

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

The values you see for parameters are only a part of the cycle. It is measurable but other things go on that you do not see or can not measure. By doing a water change you replenish any trace elements and remove nitrates and DOC.

5. Bloodkip

Bloodkip Ritteri Anemone

Did your cycle complete yet? nitrite, ammonia 0 and some nitrates.

6. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Bacteria colonizes the sand and rock, using used water doesn't really provide you with much in the way of nitrifying bacteria.

7. takingvapes

takingvapes Astrea Snail

Thanks. Don't wanna hijack the thread too much, but yeah they are pretty territorial. Early on they nipped the tailfin of one of my green chromis and he didn't make it, but other than that it hasn't been all that bad. They aren't so much aggressive as just territorial. They dart after the remaining chromis, he runs away, and thats the end of it.

I think the tailfin thing was just a lucky bite, or they were stressed a little about moving from the store to my house.

Edit: Oh and getting back on topic, probably shouldn't get the clownfish yet. Really not worth losing $40.00 in fish if the tank isn't ready. And sounds like it's probably not. A good option would be a yellow tail damsel, they are hardy fish, very cheap, and would help get your tank filtration going. If you don't want one of those, can do the shrimp thing. Toss a piece of shrimp in and as it decays the tank builds up the filtration to take care of it. Or just wait another week or two.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. Steve Goldsmith

Steve Goldsmith Fire Shrimp

+1
    You have great advice that people are giving you. You shouldn't add the clowns so soon, give at least a month and a half or so to cycle IMO. Used water doesn't necessarily mean that a cycle will be done so fast. Live sand speeds up a cycle somewhat, but not by much. Also, you should have rock, live and base if you want, and a CUC before buying any fish. Having everything set up before getting fish will reduce stress; resulting in happier, healthier fish. If you rush this hobby, more than your wallet may suffer. Sorry if I sound rude.

On a side note, GREAT clarkiis Vapes. :)

10. btcole333

btcole333 Feather Duster

Don't do what I did ! I lost about $125 in fish because I wasn't patient.

11. bulldogniner

bulldogniner Feather Duster

Can I suggest you read a book? Don't get me wrong, I think this is the place to ask questions, I just think getting 30 people's opinion is the wrong way to go when first starting out. Find a good, reputable, book that explains the entire salt water reef tank process and read it cover to cover. It will save you time, money, and keep the aggressive replies to a minimum :)

12. btcole333

btcole333 Feather Duster

Even if you go to the LFS they will all give you different ways to do things. I like this site and wish I would of know about it before I got my first salt water tank .