Getting my first fish tomorrow!!!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by KatherineM, Jan 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. KatherineM

KatherineM Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

OK, first a question, its a new tank but all the levels are right and everything. Its been running nicely for a week. BUT, should I start with one firefish, or two clowns?? I dont want to stress the tank out with two fish(though they will be very small) Im gonna check another pet store to see if they have the pinkbar goby I wantand if they do then I will get that, but if they dont, should I go with the clowns or the firefish??? Bot fit into my tank plan so it doesnt matter in that sense.

Also, how exactly should I put them in the tank? I know the bag needs to just sit in my tank, but for how long? And do I dump the bag water into my tank or no?

Any other advice is very appreciated :D

2. Click Here!

3. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

What size tank is it?? I vote for the pair of clowns first imo. Theyll look nice! you shouldn't stress out the tank that much and as for acclimation, you can put the bag in the water for about 30 min and be alright, i drip acclimate with a piece of tubing and a valve to set it at 2 drips a sec, but ive heard of ppl just doing the bag method and being fine with it. I just take the extra time.

4. ccscscpc

ccscscpc Millepora

Congrats and good luck......its an exciting time!

I vote for the 2 clowns also....it will add some cool life and personality right away to your tank.

I always float the bag for 20 minutes and then drip acclimate for about 45 minutes to an hour depending on the fish.

DO NOT use the water from the bag!!! Whenever you buy fish or coral or anything never use the water. Drip acclimate to get them used to your water and then put them in your tank.

Other stores/peoples water should never go into your tank.

5. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

100% Agree.

6. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

+1 with ccscscpc. Depending on the size of your tank, IMO, I would put a couple blue/green chromis in there first before the clowns. They are also hardy but less expensive and they can cycle the tank too. Your levels are good presently because you really don't have anything in the tank let alone beneficial bacteria. You will experience a possible small spike unless your live rock was already cured.

7. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

"new tank"...."been running nicely for a week".

This shouldn't have any fish in it yet! Unless I'm missing something about your set-up?

8. Click Here!

9. KatherineM

ok, so I can do the clowns. I dont think I have equipment to drip acclimate, but could I just manually add a little bit of water every couple minutes?

Nismo400rgtr, when I say its been running nicely for a week I mean that its all been working and the levels have been right for a week. As in I went through all the other steps already and the tank has just been sitting pretty for a week

oh and its a 30gal

10. KatherineM

also, can I get both clowns in the same bag or should they come separate? my goal is to have a pair, male and female

11. allenmay8

allenmay8 Fire Worm

if you want a pair (assuming you want them to mate) I would buy them very young or search for a pair online. Just because they are m and f does not mean they will mate

12. TROYBOY84

TROYBOY84 Feather Duster

did your tank cycle yet?