Getting live rock from the beach

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Damsels R Cool, Oct 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Damsels R Cool

Damsels R Cool Millepora

How would i know it's live rock?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. JupiterSailfish

JupiterSailfish Peppermint Shrimp

What state are you in?

If Florida:

Title 15, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 922 prohibits the removal of, injury to, or possession of coral or live rock and further prohibits moving, removing, taking, harvesting, damaging, disturbing, breaking, cutting, or otherwise injuring any living or dead coral or coral formation, or attempting any of these activities without a specific permit.

4. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

Ye but its ok for the stores to sell it to us for 10$ per Lb.

5. jbaker

jbaker Feather Duster

I wouldn't take anything from the beach, you've got to much to worry about such as the polution on the rocks and in the water. If you're taking it from the ocean you should be a couple of miles out which means you need to be able to hold your breath a very long time or scuba dive. As a side note, live rock is just ocean rock that has living organisms on and in it. If it's been in the water for awhile it's live. Dead rock or base rock is just ocean rock that is dried out and nothing is living on or in it. All I did is buy a bunch of base rock to get the basic structure I wanted and then added a few pieces of nice live rock to seed the base rock. The base rock then becomes live in a few weeks. It's the slower way to go but it's also much cheaper than filling your tank with live rock. Patience is key in this hobby.

6. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

The proper permits were received for the harvester and therefore sold it to the LFS so therefore the inflation of cost. It is put in place to protect the ocean. Not hurt the hobbyist.

7. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

I under stand It just hurts me because I live in the desart Central AZ and cost here is at hi as 15$ a pound. I respect the reef and nature I dont want my last post to misunderstood. (But I have 150lbs in my tank so I paid my dues)

8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Also.. a lot of the collectors are "suppose" to only take rubble... and take it from certain areas.

10. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

Not taken out of context and I feel your pain just a general statement for some.

11. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

Besides i neaver heard on fl LR latley its figi and tongin now they even have difrent brands

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Very well said.

I have gotten a number of things out of the ocean, but all have been legal and I do have a SW fishing Lic. Luna