Getting into fragging

Discussion in 'Frags' started by JohnnyBoy, Aug 24, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JohnnyBoy

JohnnyBoy Purple Spiny Lobster

I'm going to get into fragging corals but I'm currently in process of getting "tools" for the job. I'm in process of setting up my frag tank and have aragonite frag plugs already. I guess what I need to know is, what would be the tools I would need, where to get them online, and any links to websites that show fragging and have info I can use.

Like I said, I have the plugs. I also have an X-acto knife with replacement blades along with hand and eye protection ofcourse;D Thanks in advance!

2. Click Here!

3. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

i think what would help is to know what type of corals you plan on fragging, lps, sps, softies?

4. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

ill say it again...corals are a lot tougher than most people make them out to be. All you would need is a bone cutter, scissor, or any sharp cutting utensil. If you want to frag certain LPS it is good to use a dremel for acans and such...for branching lps like frogspawn i have broken heads off by hand. So depending on what your fragging will help you decide the weapon of choice.

5. JohnnyBoy

Well, eventually I plan on doing a bit of everything. I just want to go ahead and get all my stuff togeher now. I'm going to start with something easy like mushrooms ofcourse.....just to get an idea but eventually all types.

6. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

well than i would listen to "The Guy" he seems pretty darn smart with what he talks about :)

7. That Guy

people swer by bone cutters for stony corals///especially for acros. I will say from experience that bonecutters arent that great. They are good if used properly but more often than not they arent used properly. I have sent more corals flying across the room when trying to cut through them with bone cutters and found that simply snapping a small piece of an acro off by hand seems to have a better result in respect to croals becoming flying projectiles! So just a tip....when using a bone cutter to frag acros, monti's, or any stony skeleton type of coral....Dont try to cut through the coral with the bone cutter but use it more to get a good grip on the piece you want to frag and twist it off.

8. Click Here!

9. JohnnyBoy

If I were doing.....I would actually use the bone cutter to "score" around where I want to break it off just so it gets as much of a clean cut possible and then using my hand to finish it off. Is there any online stores that carry the stuff I might need that you know of?

10. That Guy

you can check with some of the sponsers on here im sure they can help you find what you are looking for.

11. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

1 person likes this.
  12. JohnnyBoy

You Tube........how could I not think about that! Thanks homegrowncorals!