Getting Into Clams

Discussion in 'Clams' started by LCP136, Nov 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I'm interested in clams. I've always thought they were stunning, and at one point I bought a T. crocea, but very sadly my emerald crabs killed it. Now, I have gotten rid of the crabs, and I have no livestock that would be dangerous to the clams from what I understand after my research. My question is if T. crocea can live under t5 lighting, and if so, where in the tank would they have to be? Other info or tips you have would be very much appreciated. Thank you,

LCP

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I too really like clams!

If you like the Derasa clams maybe you should start with one of those. They are cheaper and less demanding lighting wise IME. I always try to get clams at least 2 inches in size. I find they have a higher survival rate.

What lighting fixture do you have?
    How many bulbs?

With clams you need to really make sure you change the bulbs routinely to avoid lighting problems.

4. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I have a 6 bulb t5 fixture. I forget the exact make, but I believe it is nova. The tank is a 90 gallon that is 24 inches deep. I like derasas, but my problem with them is that they get enormous. I like the idea of a crocea because it is small and will not outgrow my tank.

5. Corailline

Is this the 90 gal in your signature?

Sounds like your lighting should be fine. If your really like the Crocea than go with that, just get a clam at least 2 inches in size.

Look for a clam that is extending it's mantel fully, bright in coloration when viewed from above. I would also check the clams base for pyramid snails.

Depending on the amount of coralline and stoney corals you have you will have to watch your ca, mag, and alk levels.

6. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Yes this is the 90 in my signature. However, a derasa will still outgrow a 90 won't it? I would like a clam I could put in the sand bed. Is that possible with any clams with my lighting?

7. Corailline

It would take years and years for a Derasa to outgrow a 90 gal. They also do well in the sandbed.

A Crocea can go in the sandbed but personally since they are rock boring clams in the wild I like them in the rockwork and have had good luck with that placement.

You could also go with a Squamosa, similar to a Derasa.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Thanks for the help. I'll definitely look into derasa.

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Crocea should be on rocks, if you can find a very flat one you could put it on the sand on the rock. Just make sure you keep the clam under the reflectors. Treat maximas the same way.

11. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

I have a 13" Squamosa in the sand in my 72. No problems. Well, tonday my sailfin started nipping at it ....

12. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

That's a beast. Let's see a picture! :)

I want a few clams for my 29g. I'll probably start with something easier like a derasa or a squamosa.