getting aiptasia or majano off pectinia

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Sataly, Apr 25, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

Yesterday when I went to the lfs to get the frags I saw a gorgeous red and purple pectinia! only problem is that is has a majano on it and I'm just working on apitasia in my tank still and would hate to introduce a second problem. so here's the question, if I were to buy it, how would I remove it? could I just dip in bayer and rodi water? if so how much should I do because it so meaty? I did my torch with very lil to no I'll effect but the pictina was pretry big, grapefruit size if not bigger. also now my pictina has apitasia on it and now I worry about them killing it off. I'd rather just use the bayer I have now and not go out and buy anything else.

edit: nvm I just read thst bayer only attacks things with an entire central nervous system i.e. inverts and fish and microbs (pathogens and I can kill some coral sicknesses)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Resist, not worth it, IMPE.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  4. Sataly

resistance is futile! must have pectina!

Corailline likes this.
  5. Sataly

but in all seriousness I probably won't get it. deaLing with aptasia is a pain in the A as it is.

Corailline likes this.
  6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Even I even suspect a piece has Majano or Aiptasia on it, than it is a no regardless of the piece. I have one Aiptasia now even after all my efforts to avoid the pest. I have been there done that for way too long.

I avoid the LFS because they all tend to sell frags with pest, and get sooooo offended if you even question nudibranch, redbugs, aiptasia, flatworms, majano.

After seeing 400 gallon beautiful systems with aiptasia and majano, you can not remove the rock and treat that kind of system, I am extremely careful.

Avoid pest at all cost or you'll pay later.

DSC reef and zesty like this.
  7. hart24601

hart24601 Flamingo Tongue

I would use my qt tank and put it in there with a peppermint shrimp. After a few weeks there should be no more aptasia. I would still hit it with aptasia x to be sure though.

8. Click Here!

9. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

If it's on a part of the skeleton I could chop off with a dremel, I would do it.

10. Sataly

thing I worry most about using the dremel on the one I have already is that I've already tried chopping it off a few times and have gotten pretty deep on it thst I'm afraid to cut down anymore. I still want to barghia nudis but the filefish j currently own might go after it even though it's fed pretty well. she's cruises the rocks constantly and i worry about buy $120 in nudis and it end up being an expensive meal. might just catch it and set it in the sump for a lil while till I see a decrease in apitasia