Getting a Vortech MP10, any setting recs?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Matt Rogers, Dec 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I can see where my next investment will be in the very very oh did I say VERY near future.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

@Mojo - My glass is 3/8" thick - the upper limit for the MP10. It has just enough magnet strength to old it there.

@jonjonwells, Crimson_Ghost - thanks! I look forward to messing around with it later.

Regarding:
    I called Deep Sea Aquatics - makers of my rimless Neo Nano - they said they have not received a single call of a blow out from a pump. I guess I won't worry about this disclaimer anymore then.

matt

1 person likes this.
  4. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Thanks for the info Matt, I'm thinking my cube is 3/8" also probably. It's the standard Marineland with corner-flo. I wonder where I can confirm, I guess I'll write Marineland.

5. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Updated instructions to original post

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks

UPDATE -

I played around last night and easily set feeding mode - however - I could not for the life of me get the night mode on. Hit 'mode' and 'set' twice at the same time right? COuldn't do it. Maybe I am all thumbs. :p

Beyond that I played with other modes and enjoyed the affects of the 'nutrient transport' mode. Cool activity in the tank from that. However, the 'whir, whir, whir' of the motor got a veto from my better half during that experiment. It was a pretty annoying washing machine type noise. Hopefully that is because the motor is still breaking in per instructions. If I had fans or a typical reef tank with various noises - or an in-wall tank - this would not have been noticeable - however I have succeeded in making my tank extremely quiet with Eheim pumps and no fans - so this Vortech stands out at the moment. That said - other modes are not that noticeable.

Anyone else have problems setting the night mode?

7. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Hi Matt,

I can’t help you on the night mode – but I am concerned for the noise. Mine are extremely quiet – However, every now and again my cat will get back there and yank the wire and ever so slightly misalign the magnets. The noise is annoying and can certainly be likened to what you are experiencing.

I suggest that you tinker with your alignment and see if that noise gets worse/better – if so than its an alignment and not motor noise and can be immediately resolved by further tinkering. I have three of these running and none have ever made a motor noise, from out of the box to now.

8. Click Here!

9. jonjonwells

You need to hold the Mode + Set button down until it starts flashing. Should take 5 seconds or so. Then do it again to set night mode.

10. jonjonwells

My motors hum. You can definitely hear them with everything else turned off in the room. Not loud, just there. There is a definite difference in sound to a alignment vibration. Play with it and see if it changes. You will eventually learn what your pump sounds like and know when something is not right. One of my tangs knocked mine out of alignment the other week, and it was immediately noticeable.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Good suggestion - I will try moving it in that mode and see if it becomes silent. Like I said, it is not loud - but in a quiet room you can hear it and in that mode it is just spiking on and off and not doing gradual changes so it is the loudest mode I've tried so far.

Until what starts flashing? THe knob? Does it cycle through the colors? I saw that once and thought I jammed it.

12. jonjonwells

Yes, the light will start flashing Red/White/Blue. This indicates that the unit is in Setup Mode. Then hold both buttons again to set night mode. When night mode takes, the light will start "breathing" White.... kind of a slow fade in and out of white.

1 person likes this.