Getting a Vortech MP10, any setting recs?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Matt Rogers, Dec 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

I think it would work fine Matt. With your tank being a cube I dont see where it would matter if it was on the side or the back. I run the MP40 on my 120 and it moves a lot of water. I am sure yours will do the same in your tank.

BTW......I like reef crest and lagoon. I switch it up every few weeks.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Awesome. Thanks

Thanks - I will!

Great! thanks - I am sure I will switch it up a lot.

By the way - as a paranoid man :) , should I worry about the rimless factor here - another words - will this really stress the tank a lot?

1 person likes this.
  4. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

haha...I wont run the wavemaker feature because I am paranoid too. In all actuality it probably wont hurt anything but I'm not brave enough to chance it yet :) IMPO I dont think the Lagoon or reef crest will hurt it at all.

5. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

I think the whole tank stress thing from vibration was a load of bunk - no worries mate.

6. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

This is why I am paranoid of using the wavemaker function:

Wave Motion Warning
    The generation of waves within your aquarium places additional stress on the aquarium glass and joints. Not all aquarium tanks are designed to withstand this stress, and failure of the glass and/or joints could result.
    You are encouraged, before generating waves, to consult with your aquarium tank manufacturer to determine if the tank construction is adequate to withstand the additional stress generated by the wave motion.

Probably just something that vortech puts in their instructions to cover them from lawsuits from tank ruptures. But I dont know. I am sure others are running the wavemaker feature with no problems. JMPO

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah that is the quote in the manual I am referring to. It spooked me a bit with rimless setup I have. :p

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Update -
    I have the pump and set it up last night and calibrated per instructions. Too cool!

Slight whirring but instructions say that will go away in 24 hours.

Question:

1) I saw mention of 'night mode' on box but nowhere in instructions - how does it work?

I am currently in random mode at 3/4 power. Not sure if I am in lagoon or reef crest - will play more tonight..

matt

10. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Hey - I opened this thread first thing this morning to remind myself to hit you up for an update, but sure enough you were all over it.

Glad you got it and its working well. Sorry I can't help you with night mode - that might be a newer feature that my three do not have ...

a quick google:

http://ecotechmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/FULLMANUAL_Revision1.1.pdf

Night Mode
    Your EcoSmart driver gives you the ability to have a slower pump speed at specified times. Night mode is used to change the speed of the pumps at a certain time in the evening and resume normal operation at a specific time in the morning. When entered in Night Mode, the pump will slow the speed to a set percentage of the max speed of the mode you currently are in. The pump will stay in this mode for a specified time. The first time you use night mode, you must tell it when to go into Night Mode. You do this by pressing and holding both Mode and Set and then pressing and holding Mode and Set again. If you remove power to your Vortech driver, you must tell it again when to go into Night Mode.

1 person likes this.
  11. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Night mode reduces power to 50% of your speed. You have to set it at the time you want it to go into night mode. It will stay there for 10 hours and repeat daily. If you have a power failure, you will have to reset it.

Edited to add instructions:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

following along on this, also got an MP10es and anxious to get it set up on my cube.

How thick is the glass on your cube Matt? I'm not sure how thick my 70g cube is, but wasn't sure if there were any issues that would come up?