Getting a new LED!

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by mikejrice, Sep 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reef4life

Reef4life Feather Duster

Cant wait for the new review

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Gettin' antsy over here.

4. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

So far it has the best color rendition of any light I've seen. They cut back the red diodes to just four, and even though they're all in the center, I don't seem to see a big red lump there. It's a bit strange.

I couldn't tell you for sure, and I don't doubt your logic there.

The review is written and scheduled to go live on the 19th. I'll also post it here in a new thread after it goes up. For now I will say, there are some details that I really don't like, but over all it's one of the best lights I've tested to date. I also must say that even after sending the draft to Orphek, they didn't try to dispute the things I didn't like at all. They only corrected one material specification that I was mistaken on. No one can deny that their public image sucks, but I'm starting to like the company a bit more.

5. Seano Hermano

So, why does your review have to be approved by the manufacturer, and why won't it be going up until the 19th?

6. mikejrice

It didn't need to be approved, but a lot of manufacturers ask to see them first to check for technical errors. I've never held back on a review before, and trust me I wasn't going to start with a company surrounded by so much controversy.

Posts are all scheduled, so I can take a day off now and then while still keeping the site fresh.

7. Seano Hermano

That makes sense. Thanks, Mike. I can't wait. :)

8. Click Here!

9. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Did you test the PAR?

10. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

If you are having a better experience with the company than what the public percieves, then why don't they try and correct or change their public image? I surely hope that your review wasn't changed after their response to your draft.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

11. mikejrice

I don't actually have a quantum meter right now, but I'll be barrowing one to check the full light distribution very soon.

I don't think they even realize how or why we see them as being shady. It seems that bad practices in this country are acceptable in theirs, so it may never change.

The only thing I changed for the is that one part I thought was aluminum was actually stainless steel.

Honestly I've been a bit nervous about reviewing this one because of views of the company, and the review begins with a disclaimer to keep this whole thing very honest. For what it's worth, I'd like to say, I was completely honest and hopefully my history on this site can stand at least somewhat for my reputation. I would hate for this review to tarnish my reputation in any way because it's simply not worth that.

12. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

What other LEDs have you reviewed?