Getting a new LED!

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by mikejrice, Sep 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Interesting. Definitely following along. Will you be posting the results in this thread later on? Or starting a new thread (probably a good idea)?

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I'll start a new thread, so people don't have to go pages deep to get to the juice.

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Great. I'll definitely be waiting for the real answers about this light. ;)

5. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

My guess is that you will be impressed with the peak PAR but less than impressed with the width of the spread. However, a 40g breeder tank is probably an ideal tank for that fixture based on the spread that I observed.

6. mikejrice

That's what I was thinking, but I have many more tanks to put it over that before I'm done.

7. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

That light comes in two models. I am surprised they didnt give you the 156W. Maybe because you are putting it on a small to medium tank.

8. Click Here!

9. mikejrice

It is going to be a 156W of sorts. I'll have more details when it comes.

10. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

So what you are saying is that is that you will not be testing the same PR-156 that I have criticizes for not having true 90 degree optics? Is this some kind of review to combat the expected results of Sanjay's upcoming article? I must warn that testing a one off product should not be confused with actual test results of an off the shelf product.

My anticipation is that yours may have a 50/50 ratio of their optics (so-called 90 and 120 degree)? If so that would be a great improvement for that fixture. Sure the peak PAR would be reduced but the spread would be improved as well. Now if they would just have their optics measured and market them with the true angle (comparable to every other fixture on the market) as opposed to their reported angle, hobbyist might be able to truely compare this fixture with others on the market.

I am impressed with the efforts of Orphek to re-invent themselves and hope the progress continues. I have had some PM conversations with the new Rep and have for the most part been pleased with his responses to me. If they keep it up, they will no longer be the side-joke of the other LED manufacturers.

11. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

So they have a new rep now? Not the same one who ran around forums badmouthing competitors?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

12. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

That is what I was told two days ago. So far Shawn Wilson (the new Orphek rep) has been open and honest with me. He also kept his word and sent a fixture to Sanjay for independant testing. My hope is that this company can turn around and become an honest player in the LEd market. Only time will tell as I do have a means of verifying their honesty.

1 person likes this.