Getting a new LED!

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by mikejrice, Sep 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

No worries, we're always happy to see new faces. You should start a thread in the introduction forum, so we can all say hi.

Michael Rice
    Marine Engineers Aquarium Blog
    Sent from Tapatalk so excuse my poor English

2. Click Here!

3. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

With all due respect, that's totally lame :-/ If you have data post it! Geeze.... Come on, really, most people compare lights with the apogee meters; that is the hobby standard. The Li-Cor is not. Now, the Li-Cor may be more accurate, and a disclaimer may be appropriate, however, data is data, and it is useful to someone. Sanjay can post his data and people can debate the differences, and start long threads, and whine and complain, yada, yada, yada, but a dedicated, unbiased scientist would never withhold data because it may be too political.... neither should an dedicated, unbiased reviewer... Just my .02.

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I figured they would get some high par numbers (narrow, focused optics). Hows the coverage though?

5. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

From just a little bit of research that i have done on the fixtures you will need 2 for a 48" long tank so not the best but still good.

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Isn't each fixture 2 feet long? lol?....

7. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Thanks for getting the review up Mike. I liked your review, but there's alot I dont like.

First, I don't like that this isn't a standard off the shelf light. Instead of getting a standard light that the general public has access too, you got a souped up one-off model, of which I agree with gcarroll is custom built to fool PAR meters. This is just total BS that once again just doesn't surprise me at all, since we are talking about Orphek.

Second, this light has no dimmers and no individual control of colors? And it costs how much? You are paying cadillac price for a kia. This is basically an overpriced outdated fixture with basically no PAR numbers available.

I would like to see par numbers on a bigger tank so we can get an idea of the spread. I'm just totally rubbed the wrong way by the fact that this isn't an off the shelf unit. I guess I just don't see the point of a review on something that nobody else can buy.

8. Click Here!

9. mikejrice

Surprisingly good mounted about a foot above a forty breeder.

10. mikejrice

I agree 100% about it not being off the shelf which is why I started with the disclaimer :) Orphek may be shady in a lot of people's eyes, but the last thing I want is for people to think I'm in bed with that.

11. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

yes lol

12. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Yeah, I like your reviews and I can tell it's an honest one. But I would still like to see PAR readings. Any plans to get this on a bigger tank?