Generator

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by civiccars2003, May 14, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

Yes get what it's bigger then needed. Hot water is always a blessing when taking a shower

2. Click Here!

3. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Great information AZ!!!

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

yes, awesome information AZ! I'm experiencing the same angst civic, down here in cincy we live kind of away from the main grid and aren't a priority when power goes out :(

5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Something I learned about many battery backups/UPS systems is they do not like aquarium heaters. Heaters are resistive type loads and UPS systems think they are a dead short so shut down. Also a heater at 200-300 watts drains a battery quickly if it does work, batteries and UPS systems are better for smaller loads like powerheads and small pumps at low wattage.

6. Grog

Grog Astrea Snail

Hard to argue with the Honda recommendation. The Yamaha's are also good and a little cheaper but not as much is out there about them. Stay away from the cheap 2 stroke models, they STINK but the are very cheap. You're going to want around 3 KW to do some of the house and the tank refrigerator, heat (just not electric heat), 1 small AC,... I'm pretty sure all Hess stations are required to have generator power.

7. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

This! ^^ It was like the wild west around here. This thread just made my stomach turn as it reminded me I need one before hurricane season hits. We haven't had "the big one" in a while so I'm sure it's coming.