Generator

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by civiccars2003, May 14, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Living in northeast ohio I'm always nervous when it comes to storms, power failure. Looking for some generator info.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I got news for you.It happens everywhere.;)

What are you going to run on it.Just the tank??:confused:

4. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Just the tank. I remember a few yrs back when all of the east coast went black. I didnt have power for two days. I have nightmares of that happening again. Its only a matter of time.

5. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

Depending on your power needs you could go with a battery backup. Also, there is usually at least one generator on craigslist most of the time.

Edit: If you can get one cheap enough it wouldn't really matter if it was over rated or not as efficient as a smaller generator. It's just for emergencies and heck the extra power could come in handy making food or something.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  6. Vinnyboombatz

During Hurricane Wilma I was without power for 17 days.Feel your pain.;)

Honda generators are unmatched in efficiency and they are whisper quiet.Pricey though.The main problem you will have is getting gas.No power means no gas so you would have to store some.Florida lawmakers finally woke up and forced the gas stations here to equip the stations with generators.After a storm thousands were out on the road looking for gas.A big problem.Cops were needed to break up fist fights instead of directing traffic at our intersections which was a real mess.The last thing you need is people all over the road after a storm.
    Propane powered generators are also an option though.

http://generatorsite.com/honda-eu2000i-inverter-generator.html?gclid=CIz6_Z6Brr4CFXRo7Aod8i0AOg

7. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

I agree honda makes the best small engines.

8. Click Here!

9. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

There is a thread that is about a thousand pages long on RV.net talking about Chinese generators.
    http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/15131645/srt/pa/pging/1/page/992.cfm
    The number one pick behind the pricey Honda and Yamaha's is Champion. They are great products and are exact licensed and Honda approved clones of a Honda GX-200 engine.

I used one for 5 or 6 years not only for back up during summer monsoon storms but also to power my RV when boondocking. Not as quiet as the Honda EU series but still much quieter than all my buddies contractor style generators and I could buy 6-8 Champion 3500's compared to 1 Honda 3000.

They also make quieter inverter versions now and you can find them at places like Costco or Sams, Cabellas and O'Reilly auto parts.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  10. Vinnyboombatz

Great info.Thanks AZ.8)

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Hurricane Wilma?

And please, don't be like some people who seem to have IQ's the size of their shoes and put the generators INSIDE the house, only to get sick and/or die from CO poisoning!

Great to know on the generatos ADR!

12. Vinnyboombatz

Hurricane Wilma was the most intense tropical cyclone ever recorded in the Alantic basin.2005