general fixture advice

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by oldfishkeeper, Mar 2, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Do people keep their fan running 24/7 on their T5 housing or unplug when lights are off? I'm sure some have them on timers, do the timers also turn the fan off? I wasn't sure whether turning the fan on and off is a bad or good thing. I just want to do the thing that will ensure a long life for the fixture....

2. Click Here!

3. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

I am not sure for those fixtures that have separate switches for fans of that run a fan separate their fixture. My Aquaticlife fixture has a built in fan and the fan does not have a separate switch and comes on when the t5s come on and off when they turn off. I know this might not help but just my experience.

4. oldfishkeeper

no, this helps....it makes sense not to have the fan running for no reason :)

5. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

my fans on my canopy stay on all the time but that is just to keep my led fixture from collecting moisture. i would put the fans on a timer, OFK and save the wear and tear

6. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

My fans are built into my t5 fixture and turn off with the lights.

7. oldfishkeeper

ok, thanks for the input. I kind of like the thought of having the fan on for moisture build up prevention though....hmmm......

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The fan is only needed for the fixture when the lights are on. I would suggest getting another fan if you want to keep condensation down.