Geissman or Aquactinics

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by ReefSparky, Dec 1, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

For my relatively shallow 55 gal tank, I decided to go with a T5 setup. I discovered in my reading that individual reflectors are a must--which leaves out the less expensive names like Current's Nova Extreme and a few others which can be had for arount $200-$300 hundred bucks.

I was about all set to purchase the TX5 by Aquactinics, which doesn't come with bulbs, and holds 5-T5 lights. Then I came across this setup from Geissman, which I like the looks of.

[​IMG]

I'm torn. Geissman is $468 and includes 4 T5 lamps. The Aquactinics is $461, but doesn't come with lamps and holds 5, instead of the 4 Geissman does.
    After all is said and done, they will both be around the same price, as I'd need the $70 legs for the Geisman, totalling that setup to $528 or thereabouts. After purchasing 5 bulbs for the Aquactinics, assuming each bulb at $20, it will be more than $570.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only unknown variable in my mind is the quality and configuration of the individual reflectors in the Geissman.
    Here's a couple of pics of the Aquactinics TX5 setup.
    Does anyone have any experience with the Geismann T5 fixture to know if it's worth buying to save a few bucks over the Aquatinics, which houses one more bulb?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I'll be starting to place corals in the tank just as soon as my lighting is in place and I've determined that I can maintain water chemistry parameters. Currently I have a tomato clown, two banggai cardinals, and a skunk cleaner shrimp. I plan on adding more reef type, community fish as well.

Thanks for the article. I'll be sure to read it and take it in (hey, is that a pun?) 8)

5. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Hey chap!

I use t5 controllers (2 x 2 x T5) by Geissman! They are quite popular in Europe. Definitely high quality build and trouble-free maintenance ... As we say: German precision and quality :D

Good luck!