GBTA issues and preventing them?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by nanomania, Feb 24, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

Hey guys, iv just built a new tank, though imnnot tht new to hobby, but im new to nems. Im planning on a gbta, coz its the most hardy nem and not agressive and good for beginners.

Iv heard many issues of gbta committing sucide by crawling to the wavemaker. Iv got a few questions:

1) what should be done to prevent it from sucide?
    2) what shud be the best placement?
    3) what if it crawls in the front of the glass, then how to rwmove it?
    4) do i need to feed it or its fine?
    5) can i introduce it in a month old non lit new tank?
    6) is it ok if i introduce clowns before the nem?
    7) what if it actually commits sucide, will it kill all my fishes and inverts? (45g tank)

2. Click Here!

3. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

How old is your tank?

4. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

1) what should be done to prevent it from sucide?
    good water chemistry/adequate lighting and a mature tank
    2) what shud be the best placement?
    It will find "the best placement" on its own, this is the added risk factor. you should never "force" a nem to stay in a place it does not want to. this will not only stress the anemone out, but result in a waste of energy on its part, since it will keep moving away from where you placed it. this may and will ultimately kill your animal either by exhaustion and stress or because it ends up shredded by pump...
    3) what if it crawls in the front of the glass, then how to rwmove it?
    slim chances it will stay there but if it does it should not be removed (easily from glass) unless utterly necessary
    4) do i need to feed it or its fine?
    no feeding, it will gain most of its needs via photosynthesis, an occasional piece of SMALL shrimp can be offered to see the feeding behavior but its really not necessary and in fact is better to avoid IMO
    5) can i introduce it in a month old non lit new tank?
    absolutely not...see point one
    6) is it ok if i introduce clowns before the nem?
    yes
    7) what if it actually commits sucide, will it kill all my fishes and inverts? (45g tank)
    depends on the size of the animal in question and water parameters, but yes it will asphyxiate your tank inhabitants quickly... large water change is a must should this happen...

it is common belief that; once the nem has been doing well and not moving for 6+ months that you are essentially in the"clear". in my experience however you are never really 100% safe form it picking up its bags and going for a stroll....and again the shred risk appears.... not to mention it will sting the crap out of any coral it comes into contact with while it travels....

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    Piano10, Vinnyboombatz and nanomania like this.
  5. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

I have a nem in a 29g, it has been there for about two months. My tank is almost a year and has a very nice LED fixture over it, but my nem takes a stroll every few days. So to swiss's point, good water quality and great lighting are a must and even then it takes a while for it to figure out where to be. My nitrates stay at 0 if they get to 5ppm my tank is dirty, and it still like to stretch the ole water bags..... Lol. I would wait if I where you..... But that's just me.

nanomania likes this.
  6. nanomania

Less then a month old, no fishes yet..

7. nanomania

Im plannin to keep softies only, its gona be a low tech tank, light is diy 40w cob led without lens. What if i place it on the bottom, then let it find the perfect spot?

8. Click Here!

9. nanomania

Yup i dont mind waiting... this hobby has taught me alot of patience..

cody3819 likes this.
  10. Swisswiss

im no pro at translating light specs to "efficiency" for the animal so ill let someone else crunch the numbers for you....

though the placement on the sand is a good way to acclimate it to the light, it will not provided the anemone with a good grip. this means it will easily be swept up by the streams created by your power heads and may end up in one of them. I would suggest placing it on the base of some rock work, it will then start crawling on that.

Ideally you want to keep your pumps on and let the nem "find its spot" while the pumps are running, this will insure the nem finds a place called home with the "currents" factor already present... this is not however always possible and if you cant regularly check on the status/position of your anemone i would suggesting cutting the pumps off as a whole....(I do this when i see my anemone even just hinting of moving....coincidentally it decides to do this just before lights out when i go to sleep...so if I want to actually sleep that night I have to turn the pumps off to have peace of mind....)

once the anemone seems to have settled you can turn the pumps back on but keep in mind it may suddenly feel there is to much current where it as and might move again....

also keep in mind depending on your bioload your O2 levels will rapidly drop with pumps off stressing your fish....again when I turn my pumps off for the night and turn them on the next morning I notice my fish are "panting". they quickly go back to normal in a matter of minuets...but yeah...keep that in mind, you may have a smaller bioload than me...but you also have a smaller water volume....

nanomania likes this.
  11. Swisswiss

oh right... it will sting the crap out of softies too...though they may recover better/faster

cody3819 likes this.
  12. nanomania

Thanks, seems like a good idea.. can i turn off the pumps while placing it till it attaches itself to the rock? Then on the pumps? The only flow will be of return pump. Also how quickly do they attach to the rock?