Gargonian found on beach

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by keifer905, May 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

The coral dip is supposed to kill anything off the coral that is not coral.

Any crabs, FWs, bristleworms, nudis, all those little guys should be killed by the dip.

So when you see them it likely means they are dead and no longer a threat. This is why you rinse off the coral in clean tankwater before adding it back in - to ensure no residue is left behind from the dip and or the hitchhikers.

2. Click Here!

3. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

+1 to the above, I think especially since it was in drift and stressed dipping helps. Gorgs dont have many predators but will fall victim to bacterial infections. Even careful handling can cause tissue damage to coral and disinfecting the wound with a dip is always a good idea. That is healthy looking gorg, it should survive just fine.

4. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

Lol little did you know what kind of debate this would start...

5. cgarner

cgarner Skunk Shrimp

I would listen to this man very very closely. Very sound advise not only about this topic but in other threads as well.

6. duoc9119

duoc9119 Coral Banded Shrimp

I think the resolution here is dip the coral. I think it has become the standard for every reefer when we get new corals no matter where it came from. I trust my LFS but I still dip corals and fish when I get any from them. It could be that one day they get a massive shipment of livestock and miss one or two things during the dip and qt stage and I end up buying it without realizing and there goes my tank. I don't think it is worth the risk.

7. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i didnt say just to throw the freaking coral in, i would personally quarantine it as it does not stress it as much. sure its more of a hassle but healthier.

8. Click Here!

9. cgarner

cgarner Skunk Shrimp

:eek::confused::confused::end:

10. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

dude just dip the coral.. a gorgonia is pretty hard to kill.. whether its a freshwater or a liquid dip, just dip it and then put it in your tnak..

11. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

yeah, for the first 5 years i was in this hobby i didnt dip a single thing i put into my tank. and the only parasite i ever got in this hobby was after i started dipping. not saying this is what did it. just how it went. i dont dip any more. quarantining is way better for the corald. but in this case i would probably dip after much thought cuz you dont have a qt tank

12. haugcm2

haugcm2 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

When you guys say FW dip, what kind of water do you use? Distilled? RO/DI?