Gargonian found on beach

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by keifer905, May 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Arc Katana

Arc Katana Fire Worm

Oh almost forgot this point. Why is treatment for Velvet, ick, amyloodium, and every other external parasite a FW dip? (Hint, cause it removes them).

And if you've taken offense to my replies as an attack on you, they aren't - I'm just tired of reading bad information on the internet.

2. Click Here!

3. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Not to jump your band wagon here. But FW dips is only a slight remedy to relieve the fish from the parasites. If the fish is under to much stress from the dip, it will only come back into the system to reinfect the fish...

4. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

yeah i dont dip my new liv stock i just get the temp the same then add but i would never tell sumbody new to the hobby to skip this process or any acclimation process.but i do it because i get everything from the fish store whom i trust and they hold my livestock for me for 2 weeks being u picked that up in the wild i would definitely dip

5. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

like i said previously and most have stated after, quarantine would be much better than a dip

6. tattooedsoul87

tattooedsoul87 Coral Banded Shrimp

quarantine is good for a fish but we are talking about a coral. Id definately dip a coral. they arent as sensitive as fish, if you can frag coral without killing them then a dip wont hurt it at all

7. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

they still can get stressed by being in freshwater, a dip imo will do more harm than good

8. Click Here!

9. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

sorry bvb, but that is your opinion. a dip of some sort is of a much higher opinion that simply tossing something you found on a beach (gulf of mexico? doubt there could be anything bad in that one) directly into you DT. sure it may be fine, but as others have said one gorg is not worth risking your whole DT.

10. tattooedsoul87

tattooedsoul87 Coral Banded Shrimp

he just found it on the beach. he didnt pay a ton of money for it, if he bought it I would worry about it but I wouldnt worry about killing a free coral that was washed up on the beach

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  11. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Sarcasm...seems like it.... but I hope it is...LOL
    I agree completely with dipping the coral. Why risk your entire tank for one gorgonian you found on the beach? It could have ANYTHING on it.
    I didnt really want to intervene on the debate...too late :-/
    JJL

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Personally I dip any coral going into my tank. Flatworms can be a nightmare and not worth the risk. If it's a wild coral it's crawling with parasites I am willing to bet.