Gargonian found on beach

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by keifer905, May 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

then it would be dead.and try feeding it with plankton or krill since some are non photosynthetic and eat plankton.

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I don't think it's dead. Looking at the picture, it seems to have some polyps out.

4. keifer905

keifer905 Peppermint Shrimp

How do I know if its alive? How can I get bacteria and hitchhiikers off without stressing it

5. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

i said if there was disease/pollution killing it.

6. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

putting it in your tank shouldnt do anything at all, im betting it doesnt have any parasites and bacteria wouldnt even matter. if i were you i would just throw it in.

7. Arc Katana

Arc Katana Fire Worm

Always, always, always FW dip fish and use your flavor of coral dip when you get new things. ALWAYS. I don't care if its a $.20 damsel or a candy basslet. Dip them!

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

this is incorrect, freshwater dip will only stress the fish and lead them to get parasites even if they didnt have any. its safest just to put it in. freshwater dip is only used by a handful of aquarists nowadays because many have found that it does not help in any way.

10. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

+1,i'd risk the gorgonian before i'd risk my tank.

11. Arc Katana

Arc Katana Fire Worm

Sorry, you're wrong. But I'll spell it out.

1) By using a FW dip for even 1-2 minutes you can effectively remove external parasites as they drop off from osmotic pressure.

2) Fish can actually take the big swing from 1.026 to 1.0 pretty well - I've had clowns that were "forgotten" in FW for an hour - just fine. Parasites cannot regulate salinity, so they go 'splode.

3) Martin Moe, Joyce Wilkerson, Julian Sprung, Delbeek, Wittenrich, Pedersen all recommend FW dips for new things (or again your flavor of coral rx). But then again, what do those guys with over 100 years of reefkeeping know?

4) In fact, FW dips are the only known way to remove parasites without copper.

If you'd like specific pages, I can do that too. If this seems harsh, well it is. You're telling someone to potentially contaminate his tank, where a 60 second FW dip can get rid of 99% of the potential problems.

Then again what do I know, I'm probably some random interweb kid.

12. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Depending on the species of Fish, Some I would dip, some I would not. Hypo salinity and a QT tank would be more effective for the fish that could get stressed easier.