garden pond

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by bvb-etf-luva, May 1, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i am not quite sure what this should go under but my family has recently decided to start up a pond in our back yard. we are completely clueless as to how to go about this so any help would be great.... are rigid liners better than the soft kind? just basic stuff.

2. Click Here!

3. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

osh sells liners and waterfall pumps and LFS might sell pond pumps filters etc.HTH ;D

4. ghut300zx

ghut300zx Skunk Shrimp

my boss and i are building one in his backyard the best method we found is you dig your hole lay down chicken wire and line it with concrete then they sell a rubber based epoxy you coat it with

5. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i am able to get anything for the pond i just need to know the best way to go, what type of filter to buy? rigid liner? pumps? i plan for there to be a large pond(6x10) with a small creek running down to another larger pond(7x7) what type of heavy duty pumps would i need for this? where do i house the filtration? what type of fish could i put in here since i live in colorado and it often gets below freezing here even in the summer.

6. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

thanks for the input, do you think this would be more effective than a nylong or plastic liner?

7. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

de icers will get rid of ice but i'm not an expert on ponds:( always have wanted one though.

8. Click Here!

9. ghut300zx

ghut300zx Skunk Shrimp

ya the pastic ones crack and leak plus if it rains alot the water gets under them and they move around

10. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i will consider this approach. how does it look aesthetically i know plastic liners can lok tacky and flexible liners look a little better but this concrete fence method does it look more natural?

11. ghut300zx

ghut300zx Skunk Shrimp

you wont see it at all because im pretty sure it dries like bedliner and algae grows on it or you cover it with dirt

12. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

thanks for that im pretty much positive that will be the route we will take, do you have any knowledge of filters, pumps, etc?