Gall crab in my elegance

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Nismo400rgtr, Dec 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

So I was up early this morning to try and catch a glimpse of the eclipse. Cloudy skies ruined it for me :(. So while I was up I decided to scan the tank using my small maglite. I saw what appears to be a gall crab,from what I've researched, in the corner of elegance bored between the flesh and skeleton. The coral was completely shut as it often is at different times in the night. I've had this coral for just over a month now and it's been fine. There wasn't any tissue damage in the area of the crabs burrow. I think it's been there all along as I noticed the hole when I first got the coral,just never thought anything of it since it looked fine and I saw movement last night.

I'm going to have a go at manual extraction tonight when the corals closed with tweezers. Just wondering if anyone knew of another way? I'm kinda scared to go digging in there and hurting the coral but I don't want to leave that thing in there.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Unusual find and ugly little bugger, too bad he has to be one of the bad guys. Good luck on your hunting expedition. This link is the adventure of someone with the same unwanted guests...

- Gall Crab - - Manhattan Reefs

4. makeshiftcrew

makeshiftcrew Gigas Clam

Hopefully you'll be able to get him out. If possible I'd remove the elegance and place in a QT or container(how big is the coral) just incase you get it and then drop it and can't find it in your DT....either way good luck!

5. Nismo400rgtr

Yeah I was thinking of isolating it when I attempt this. It would totally suck if that thing came out and decided to hide in the tank! The skeleton spans about 4 1/2".

6. makeshiftcrew

makeshiftcrew Gigas Clam

Yea that's the best solution. Good luck brother

7. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Nice link!

8. Click Here!

9. Nismo400rgtr

Well I got the S.O.B!!! Dang thing was big too,about the size of a Lima bean!! And all without casualty to my coral! In fact,It's doing fine and spread just as nice as always!

10. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

i missed the eclipse too, but as for the gall crab, you could try tweezers, but if u do that and the crab doesnt let go then stop because it could harm the coral. maybe entice it with some food? i'd sometimes entice my emerald crab with a live goldfish and he actually ate it (really cool IMO) so maybe try some kind of food. best of luck

Edit: o well u got him now lol. what r u gonna do with him?

11. Nismo400rgtr

It didnt'd survive the extraction But I wouldv'e just tossed it anyway.It had eggs too.Not sure if they were in it or on it but I saw them.I used a turkey baster to clean the burrow when I was done.I used tweezers and made sure to grab the crab only. Pretty icky!!

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Congrats on the successful extraction.