galaxia

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by paulg, May 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

My galaxia corals isnt extending its polyps as it did before. Just fed it over the weekend, small piece of shrimp. Any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

my lighting and water are all fine BTW

4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

5. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

The small piece of shrimp wasnt intended for the coral but kind of landed next to it.....looked like it was feeding on it a bit. I usually feed it Phyto-Food as well all my other corals. Anyway it looks terrible, i moved it to a bit more current but it was getting plenty before. I dont think its gonna make it, I have had it for about 3 months, was small maybe the size of a golfball. I dont think the piece of shrimp would cause it harm nor are there any other things that could have bothered it. Although, now that i think about it there were some amiphipods feeding around its polyps....im baffled, im sure they wouldnt have harmed it either. There are maybe 2-3 polyps left on the skeleton that may have a chance.

6. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

well i think its on its way out......bummer. After the lights went out I went to looking at it, there were probably 20-25 amphipods all over it, feeding frenzy!

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

When you say your water parameters are fine, what parameters did you check?
    Did you perform a water change recently?
    May have had a spike or lull causing your Galaxea coral to stress out!
    They are usually very hardy after the initial acclimation process!

8. Click Here!

9. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

I just checked the basics as I have run out of the rest of my tests. Ammonia/PH/Nitrates and Nitrites are all fine as well as SG. I just did a 20 gallon water change last week, my tank is a 90 gallon, running for many years. It was first placed in the middle of the tank with decent flow.

This is another coral I recieved from someone tearing their tank down and the other two didnt make it as well. All my other corals and fish are fine....just dont make sense to me.

I placed it on the bottom of the tank thinking it was possibly my lights as the person I got it from just had poor lighting. I`m still target feeding at night, crossing my fingers it may recover but sure dont look good,I`ll post some pics tomorrow.

Thanks again.......im clueless to what happened.

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

My galaxia started doing much better when I got it in a high flow area. If it is able to accumulate stuff in the coral then it will slowly die. If you don't have it in a high flow area then you need to take a turkey baster and blow it out every few days. It needs to be kept clean in order to be happy.

11. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

well its looking a bit better....i have very high flow at the bottom in one area and thats where its at. There are only maybe 5 polyps some what alive but its still hanging in there.

Think I should spot feed every night or every other?

My calcium was a bit low, like 380, i dosed it tonight, have to get my booty to the fish store for my other kits!....all else is good though.

Oh ya, have a new fish as of yesterday, beauty of a foxface!.......sweet fish!

12. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

pics comeing tomorrow