Galaxia Question.

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Toronto_Guy, Mar 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Toronto_Guy

Toronto_Guy Fire Shrimp

I'm very new to this, so please forgive me if my question is basic.

A small piece of my Galaxia coral fell off. It's a little under 1/4 inch. The polyps on it seem to be doing quite well. I've left it on the LR beside the "mother" colony for now.

My question is, can I just attach the 1/4" piece to a small piece of LR and see if it will grow? Is it that simple, or is a frag that small not likely to survive?

Cheers.

2. Click Here!

3. slocal

slocal Doot!

From the title, I thought you were talking about Woody Harrelson's character in Anger Management:

[​IMG]

But in all seriousness, yes it is that simple. Attach it to rubble, disc or a plug and watch it grow.

4. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

I have fragged my galaxia many times and usually knock a couple single polyps off.I just glue them to frag plugs give them some time little flow and watch them grow.Once they get going the frag will spread fast.

5. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

just superglue it or rubberband it to a piece of rubble rock for a week or 2 and it will be fine

1 person likes this.
  6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

yep that is how corals frag in the wild. They get broke off by tides, etc often times. I would either leave it where it is (just make sure the sand doesnt cover it) or you can stick it on a rock. Depending on how small it is, I would not glue it to anything at this point. Let it grow some and then you will have a better surface area to attach it to.

1 person likes this.
  7. Toronto_Guy

Toronto_Guy Fire Shrimp

Thanks for the quick replies! I wasn't planning to try growing my own frags so soon, but no better time than the present.

1 person likes this.