Galaxia Coral Recovery

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by cement_skis, Jun 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

So I saw on another forum that this guy (really nice BTW) was having trouble with his Galaxia Coral. Gotta commend him as he wanted to trade it to someone who could take care of it instead of letting it rot away, pretty cool I think. Anywho, you never really see recovery posts and they are my favorite. I love it when people show pics of their severely beaten coral and nurse it back into awesomeness...........but those posts are few and far between. So today I start one for the Galaxia. If I can get this one to recover enough, Ill frag it out and save one for the donor. Pretty good trade I think for some zoas and kenya.

Unfortunately for you impatient ones, this is a "real time post"; Ill be updating the post as the coral progressess........I havent gone through the process yet:p

This is what Ill be using for treatment, along with dosing Vitamin C.

[​IMG]

OK, day one. This is what it looks like right now. Not too bad, but looks like alot of tissue recession to me. Also, If someone can get me a pic of a retracted galaxia, that would be great (K+). I Need to know if the flesh is suppose to encrust over the whole thing (like a sun coral) or just in the coralites.

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

awesome. i love these threads too. Will be watching for updates 8)

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Does it open at all?

5. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

Thats about as far as it gets so far.

6. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

Well, were back now from an mentally taxing weekend, involving my sons surgery which went extremely well...........those guys at Shriner's really are the best!

So an update is in order. I think I am getting a better response, more polyps are coming out and they are inflated more. I am still dosing the Vitamin C and Restor, but I am dividing the dose into 2 doses........one in the morning and the other in the evening. Looks much better already:

[​IMG]

Seeing as I had to bust out the camera, might as well shoot a pic of my little souvenire from Sac:

[​IMG]

Also........HOLY BRISTLEWORMS BATMAN!! There are atleast 5 bristleworms hiding out in this thing, none less than 2 inches. 2 are atleast 3 inches and another might be pushing 4! I always knew they got that big, but never seen it in real life before.

7. acemow

acemow Purple Spiny Lobster

Nice little frag there. Also, good work on the Galaxia, it looks a lot happier already!!

8. Click Here!

9. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

Hmmmmmm, so i was taking a break from studying and I was standing in front of the tank when a thought crossed my mind. Im thinking about fragging the dead parts off, trimming it down to just the good stuff.......any thoughts you guys?

2 people like this.
  10. divott

divott Giant Squid

firstly, and most importantly , glad your boys surgery went well. and secondly, k to you for doin the dr.coral thing. hope that goes just as well.

1 person likes this.
  11. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

Well thank you, thats very kind! : )

12. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

JMHO..
    You doing VERY good working on that coral..

BUT, due to stress, etc.. I would say NOT to cut it back.. Unless the dead was spreading..
    Looks like you doing very well the way you going.. !!

K to you, Larry

1 person likes this.