Gahh!! Major vodka overdose!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Likeajeenyus, Feb 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Likeajeenyus

Likeajeenyus Bristle Worm

Why me! I swear. Well I recently did a tank rebuild (my 240 gallon rebuild thread). I have been dosing vodka for about 3 weeks now. Well, yesterday I programmed my dosing set up in to my brand new Reefkeeper lite controller. I programmed it to come on a 12am and to run for 6 seconds dosing approximately 5 ML into my system with a Toms aqua lifter pump. Well, this morning I woke up at about 7 am and noticed the tank looked a little cloudy in the semi dark room. I didn't think too much of it. I cam home at about 1015 am and definitely noticed the cloudiness and heard an odd bubble noise coming from the garage (where my sump is). To my astonishment the entire vodka bottle was empty, from it being at about just less than 2/3rds full.

Stupid me, I remembered reading something about the 8 amp outlets having relay switches in them, but the 3amp outlets do not. Which means the 3 amp outlets can get stuck "on" from something than draws very little power.

Well, when I initially set this up to run on the 8 amp, but changed it to the at the last second and forgot.

So it got stuck on and dumped all the vodka into the tank about 2/3rds bottle into about 300 gallons.

Currently its 1130 about 12 hours into the overdose.
    Tank is still cloudy, not horrible. NO signs of slimy bacteria yet.
    Skimmer seems to be pulling more gunk out.
    0 fish or invert loss.
    Currently mixing and heating 50 gallons of fresh saltwater for a water change...

Any thoughts, or similar experiences??

2. Click Here!

3. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Yikes. Good luck. I had a similar overdose (RKE/Doser) of Alk supplement...it wiped out my SPS. Hope your water change(s) work out.

4. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Time for a biopellet reactor

5. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I always manually dosed Vodka for this reason. Sorry bud.

6. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

I prefer to drink my vodka myself rather than give it to my fish. Just my .02

7. Likeajeenyus

Ha yea i know... I always learn the HARD way
    still cloudy
    0 livestock loss
    corals still open and look fine

8. Click Here!

9. Likeajeenyus

I had/have one. It made about the water look about what it looks right now. I was running under the recommended amount. I ditched the pellets and ran Phosban

10. insanespain

How long did you run it? It's normal for there to be a bacteria bloom when introducing the pellets but it goes away.

11. Likeajeenyus

It was about a month and a half. It was too soon. I might go back after this. I don't know.

12. insanespain

If you already have the stuff, I would go back. I've read nothing but great results using them. I'm getting ready to add them myself.