GAC in sump

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by mm2002, Oct 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

I had a media bag tear and dump about a cup or so into my sump. The sump has a DSB, and I really don't want to go in there stirring things up. Does anyone know for sure if the carbon could have any long term negative effects? I've been keeping marine aquariums since the 80's and this is the first time I've done this, so just making sure. My gut tells me to just leave it and ignore it. Opinions?

2. Click Here!

3. Shackman23

Shackman23 Teardrop Maxima Clam

i had the same thing happen to me, i would try to pull it if possible, it wont have any affects on anything but, it will get in your dt, clog your pump if it gets sucked up, if you have an ato unit it will make it stick, get in your skimmer, and so on, i pulled most of mine out, and am getting more as i see it, its been about a week now, and more keeps popping up, not alot but on white sand, seeing black things roll around, not very attractive lol

4. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

Thanks! As long as it doesn't have any ill effects "chemically", that was my main concern. It's just in the sump, and that sump is strained into a separate sump where my return pump and skimmer reside, so no chance of it getting in there. My issue is that it went in with some force and mixed a little in my DSB. If I can avoid stirring that up I will.