FW Cleaning Crew?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Tanks' started by illushinz, Feb 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. illushinz

illushinz Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I get alot of detrius<sp?> and algae buildup on the bottom of my tank. (about 2" of fake rock on top of UGF). I have a 5" and a 9" plecostomus but thats it. Any experience on other good members of a clean up crew?

TIA

2. Click Here!

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

theirs some snails, freshie crabs, and shrimp. all are supposed to help :)

4. illushinz

illushinz Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Awesome, 'preciate it aquaboy...

I've heard that the FW snails can get to be a problem tho because they reproduce to darn fast...

thoughts?

5. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

There's nuisance snails that are little and brown that can be carried in on a plant (you should have some plants by the way) and then there's the big snails that they sell in stores. I'm pretty sure apple snails are the name. They help keep it clean. By the way if you get any nuisance snails then clown loaches will snap them right up. For a FW you pretty much need to keep up with water changes and when you do then siphon the water from the very bottom with a vacuum so that the crap in between the gravel is taken out of the tank. What size is your tank?

6. target001

target001 Skunk Shrimp

en i had a FW setup i used to just have a couple algie eaters to do that job they were cheap as hell and were very efficient at cleaning the gravel and well everythign in the tank, they worked so well i ended up having to add algie tablets in the tank to feed them