Urgent Fuzzy Spots on Balloon Molly

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Molly Lover, Mar 18, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Molly Lover

Molly Lover Plankton

I am new to the world of fish and do not have a lot of experience. I started my tank around the middle of November of last year. I started with four fish and my tank has grown steadily since then. About a month ago I got two balloon mollys. Yesterday I noticed my black balloon molly has fuzzy spots on its sides and her eyes look fuzzy. My silver Balloon molly has one spot on her side but it doesn't look fuzzy. My Bala Shark has become very thin. My Dalmatian lyertail molly has now became white on his back from his dorsal fin to his tail. I have moved the Dalmatian and black mollys to separate tanks. I am very concerned with all of them. :confused::confused::confused: Any help you can give me would be great!!!!

2. Click Here!

3. swank1234

swank1234 Astrea Snail

sounds like columnaris because of the fish with the white on its back, but pictures would be helpful.

Honestly there sounds like several problems could be going on, but the "fuzz" i is going to be the most immediate in problems to solve. Have you tested your water parameters? Typically issues like this are caused by poor water quality and treatment will only be a temporary (but still very much needed immediately) solution.

I would immediately do atleast a 20% water change, I would reccommend more, but usually atleast 20% is easily doable for most people.

Have you added any aquarium salt to your tank? Mollies are a brackish water fish and a small bit of salt will help with gill function expecially when sick. (NOTE: aquarium salt is NOT the same as table salt.)

This will also need to be treated with antibotics. (You should be able to find several at your local fish store if you just ask, they can help pick one) Make sure you do not get one that is copper based, because your bala shark doesnt tolerate copper well.

4. swank1234

swank1234 Astrea Snail

Also, some other important questions to help us, help you:

How big is your tank?

What fish and how many do you have in there?

Do you have objects or plants in your tank? (for hiding)

How often do you feed and what do you feed?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  5. Molly Lover

Molly Lover Plankton

I feed tropical fish flakes and shrimp. I have 4 guppies, 8 Dalmatian Molly Babies about 1/4in long. Several guppy babies. 4Platies. 1 Lyertail dalmatian 1 DOJO Loach. 4 algae eaters. 1 Black Molly 1 balloon molly. My Bala Shark has since passed. and I have two other fish in a 10 gallon that are sick. My tank was given to my and I think it is at least a 20 if not a 30 gallon. I know my guppies are starting to pick on the other fish but that has recently just started. My lyertail is now in a breeder tank and apears to be doing much better.
    Tonight I noticed that I had two fish that looked like they have ick. I treated them for this. I really just don't want to loose any more fish. I thought they would be neat to watch but I have actually grown attached to them.
    I will give you an update of the water qualilty in an update soon. I will test again tomorrow. The last time I did though everything was good except the PH was a little high but not bad.

I will keep you posted and I will add pics soon. :-/

6. Molly Lover

Molly Lover Plankton

Here are the pics of my tank and two of the fish that are sick. Also a new one for My dalmatian balloon molly, she is now swimming with her head down, and her gills look siver.
    Thank you for any advice,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013